Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee held on 22/01/2007
Draft Capital Programme 2007/2008
Waverley Borough Council
corporate OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY Committee - 22ND JANUARY 2007
DRAFT CAPITAL PROGRAMME 2007/2008
[Wards Affected: All]
Summary and purpose:
This report presents the proposals for the draft 2007/2008 Capital Programme in respect of the General Fund services for consideration by the Overview and Scrutiny Committees during January. Observations will be reported to the Executive on 6th February, with final approval of the Capital Programme being determined by Council on 20th February.
The draft Capital Programme contains proposals that will improve the environment.
Social / community implications:
The draft Capital Programme contains proposals that will benefit the community.
The draft Capital Programme contains proposals for implementing E-Government.
Resource and legal implications:
There are no specific legal implications as a result of the recommendation of this report. Resource implications are contained throughout the report.
1. The draft Capital Programme was presented to Members during the November/December cycle of meetings. The Executive requested that the Overview and Scrutiny Committees receive a revised presentation of this statement in January to show clearly the movements in budgets between the years. The format of the Programme attached at
is designed to show this. This Annexe covers all services, not just those within the remit of this Committee.
2. The draft Capital Programme will be the subject of further consideration by the Executive on 6th February and final determination by Council on 20th February 2007.
Draft 2007/2008 Capital Programme
3. Proposals for the 2007/2008 Capital Programme amount to £5.4million. They do not include expenditure on alterations to office accommodation that may be required following future decisions on the management restructuring. This matter will be addressed as part of the restructuring report with these one-off costs being met from the Revenue Reserve Fund.
4. The figure of £5.4 million is exceptionally high compared with typical years, but includes £1.5 million for Farnham Sports Centre, £700,000 for Godalming Leisure Centre and £560,000 for Playground Replacement.
5. It should be noted that slippage from 2006/2007 has only been shown where it is proposed that this forms part of the 2007/8 Programme to be approved in February. As indicated in the Budget Monitoring reports, further slippage is likely, although every effort is being made to deliver the 2006/7 Programme before 31st March 2007.
6. The Committee has a further opportunity to indicate any relative support for specific schemes for the services within its remit. Explanatory notes on proposed new capital schemes within the remit of this Committee are attached as
Three-Year Capital Programme
7. The new three-year Capital Programme includes the year 2009/2010 and schemes proposed for that year accord with Waverley’s Capital Strategy. Proposals for 2008/2009 and 2009/2010 are broadly in line resources allocated within Waverley’s Financial Strategy.
8. Currently, the Capital Programme includes an overall annual provision of £300,000 for Partnership-Funding schemes. Annual provision at this level has been included within the three-year programme, but this will be an additional demand on the Revenue Reserve Fund beyond 2007/2008, as the Community Partnership Fund will be exhausted by 31st March 2008.
It is recommended that the Committee notes the report and informs the Executive of its views on the draft Capital Programme for the services within its remit.
There are no background papers (as defined by Section 100D(5) of the Local Government Act 1972) relating to this report.