Waverley Borough Council Home Page Waverley Borough Council Home Page


Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document

Meeting of the Executive held on 02/12/2003
Agenda




Fax No: 01483-523475
Your ref:
Our ref:
When calling please ask for: Emma McQuillan
Direct line: 01483 523351
E-mail: emcquillan@waverley.gov.uk
Date: 21st November 2003


To: All Members of the EXECUTIVE
(Agenda pages and Appendix A
to other Members for Information)





Membership of the Executive
Mr C C E Slyfield (Chairman)
Mr S D Edge (Vice-Chairman)
Miss G B W Ferguson
Mr B Grainger-Jones
Mr C H Mansell
Mr J E Robini
Mrs C E Savage
Mr V K Scrivens
Mr S D Steel


Dear Sir/Madam

A meeting of the EXECUTIVE will be held as follows:-

Yours faithfully





CHRISTINE L POINTER
Chief Executive


* This meeting will be preceded by an open public question time
beginning at 6.45 p.m.


NOTE FOR MEMBERS

Contact Officers are shown at the end of each report and members are welcome to raise questions, make observations etc. in advance of the meeting with the appropriate officer.
AGENDA


1. MINUTES

To confirm the Minutes of the Meeting held on 28th October 2003 (to be laid on the table half an hour before the meeting).

2. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To advise the Executive of any apologies for absence.

3. DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS

To receive from members, in relation to any items included on the agenda for this meeting, disclosure of any interests which are required to be disclosed by Section 94(1) of the Local Government Act 1972 and in accordance with the Waverley Code of Local Government Conduct.

4. QUESTIONS

The Chairman to respond to any questions received from members of the public of which notice has been given in accordance with Procedure Rule 10.

5. PETITION

Prior to the last meeting of the Executive, during informal public question time, a petition containing approximately 550 signatures was presented to the Chairman, the prayer of which was as follows:-

“We, the undersigned, urge Waverley Borough Council to provide a skateboard park in central Godalming.”

Officers from Leisure Services and the Portfolio holder for Community and Youth, Mr J E Robini, are currently investigating options for a town centre site in partnership with the Town Council. The Executive will be kept advised of progress.

6. EXECUTIVE - FOUR MONTH ROLLING PROGRAMME
[Wards Affected: N/A]

To adopt the four-month rolling programme of key decisions for Waverley Borough Council attached at Appendix A for all members of the Council.


Key/Mainstream Issues

7. BUDGET 2004/2005
[Wards Affected: All]

Appendices B, C and D – to follow (separate document).

7.1 General Fund (Appendix B) comprising:-

Draft Capital Programme 2004/2005

Draft Revenue Estimates 2004/2005

7.2 Housing Revenue Account (Appendix C) comprising:-

Draft Capital Programme 2004/2005

Draft Revenue Estimates 2004/2005

7.3 Setting of Council Tax Base 2004/2005 (Appendix D)

8. BUDGET MONITORING REPORT
[Wards Affected: All]

To consider the report at Appendix E - to follow

9. REVIEW OF COMPENSATORY GRANTS
[Wards Affected: N/A]

The report at Appendix F reviews Waverley’s existing compensatory grant scheme and puts forward a number of options regarding the future working of the scheme for consideration by the Executive.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the Executive agrees to amend the scheme from 1st April 2004 so as to restrict the compensatory grant for any parish to 30% of Waverley’s expenditure on recreation per head of population served.

10. COUNCIL TAX CONSULTATION
[Wards Affected: N/A]

The purpose of the report at Appendix G is to seek the Executive's views on the proposal to undertake a council tax consultation exercise in the future, for Waverley’s element of the charge. This report was considered by the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee at its meeting on 17th November 2003.

Recommendation

The Executive is invited to give consideration as to whether it would wish to undertake a process of council tax consultation in the future.


11. RISK MANAGEMENT
[Wards Affected: N/A]

The management of risk is a key factor in the way that Waverley delivers its services. In December 2002, the Executive approved Waverley’s planned approach to improving risk management. The report at Appendix H updates the Executive on the work undertaken, against the plan.

Recommendation

That the Executive notes the progress on improving risk management as set out in the report.

12. MEMBERS’ ALLOWANCES – REPORT OF INDEPENDENT REMUNERATION PANEL
[Wards Affected: N/A]
The report at Appendix I seeks the Executive's views on the review of Members’ allowances by the Independent Remuneration Panel. It may have resource implications depending on the decisions of the Council on the recommendations of the Panel. The views of the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee are set out in the report.

Recommendation

The Executive is recommended to formulate a scheme of allowances to be submitted to the Council meeting on 16th December 2003.

13. ANTI-FRAUD AND CORRUPTION STRATEGY INCLUDING A CORPORATE PROSECUTION POLICY
[Wards Affected: All]

The purpose of the report at Appendix J is to present a revised Strategy in relation to Anti-Fraud and Anti-Corruption and the accompanying Corporate Prosecution Policy for the approval of the Executive and adoption by the Council, in accordance with best practice on governance arrangements provided by the CIPFA/SOLACE framework.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the Executive approves:-

1. the revised Anti-Fraud and Anti-Corruption Strategy and the introduction of a Corporate Prosecution Policy contained at Annexe 1 to the report; and

2. the publication and training requirements to implement the strategy, including the production of any other procedures and processes to support and enhance the strategy and its effectiveness.

14. THE COUNCIL’S PRIORITIES
[Wards Affected: All]

Priorities and non-priorities have been the subject of recent discussions between Portfolio Holders and Chief Officers. The report at Appendix K sets out the priorities for the Council that have come from these discussions and clearly defines what are not priorities. Subject to endorsement by the Council, the priorities will shape corporate development and financial planning in 2004 and forward.

15. COMMUNICATIONS REVIEW
[Wards Affected: N/A]


It is recommended that:

1. the current staffing level in the Communications Unit be increased by one full time post of Communications Assistant; 2. the post of Borough Communications Manager be regraded to reflect the level as previously held by the Head of Communications in 1999; 3. the Communications Strategy be endorsed; 4. the Media Protocol for Members be endorsed; and 5. Officers be instructed to submit further reports which address issues highlighted by the Best Value Improvement Plan, specifically the issues of delivering a totally integrated communications service.

16. REVIEW OF PERSONNEL SERVICES 2002/03 – RESOURCE IMPLICATIONS
[Wards Affected: N/A]

The officers will give an oral update presentation on this matter at the meeting.

17. WAVERLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL (COMPANY) TRANSPORT PLAN
[Wards Affected: N/A]


Recommendation

It is recommended that: -

2. a number of specific proposals, as set out in the Plan, be approved.

18. DORLCOTE, WITLEY
[Wards Affected: All]

Dorlcote is a sheltered housing scheme owned by the Borough Council. The building is over 30 years old and is coming towards the end of its build-life if substantial investment is not made in the foreseeable future. At the same time, there is not a significant demand for sheltered housing. Indeed. over recent years there have been no applicants on the Housing Needs Register requiring one-bedroom sheltered accommodation in the Witley area. Dorlcote has 35 lettable units of accommodation and more than half of these units are not let to the designated user group.

The purpose of the report at Appendix O, which has been considered by the Community Overview and Scrutiny Committee, is (i) to seek authority to formally stop letting any further units of accommodation on a permanent basis until such time as the Council resolves the long-term future of the building; and (ii) to seek authority to arrange for an options appraisal to be undertaken.

Recommendation

The Executive is commended to support the following course of action:-

1. that the Council agrees to no longer let accommodation at Dorlcote on secure tenancies whilst it undertakes an options appraisal for the scheme;


2. that (a) careful consideration needs to be given to the long-term future of Dorlcote and a critical assessment be undertaken, taking into account local housing need in the longer term, and that such careful consideration be extended to recognise the needs of the current residents and (b) the level of disruption or disturbance to residents as a result of any work undertaken be kept to a minimum;

3. that the Director of Housing commissions an options appraisal of Dorlcote, which will include a professional and independent assessment of the useful life of the building and what possibilities there are for the building, with the costs of this work to be met from the Housing Revenue Account Feasibility Budget; and

4. further reports on this matter be brought back to the Committee for consideration, the first such report to be presented in six months time.

19. HOUSING OPTIONS APPRAISAL – AN UPDATE
[Wards Affected: All]

At its meeting on 30th September 2003, the Executive agreed to establish a Housing Options Special Interest Group to oversee the Options Appraisal process. Further to this meeting, the membership of the SIG has been confirmed and terms of reference have been drafted. The first meeting of the SIG is scheduled for 25th November.

The membership of the SIG includes three members and three tenant representatives, and three members of staff have been nominated as regular attendees. The membership is set out below:-

MembersTenantsStaff Attendees
Mr V K ScrivensMiss Pat WrightMr Peter Brockhurst
Mrs P M Frost Mrs Iris BirchMr Tony Martin
Mr B G ShelleyMr Reg RandleMrs Pam Perry

The draft terms of reference for the SIG are as follows:-

The Housing Options Appraisal SIG will work to provide clear guidance to the Council so that it may make decisions on ways to meet its housing objectives to ensure:-

Targets for decent homes Tenants and leaseholder aspirations and priorities National and regional priorities The Council's statutory housing duties Housing needs; and Reasonable contributions being made to neighbourhood renewal and regeneration plans

The SIG will consider the options of stock retention, the establishment of an arms length management organisation, the use of private finance initiative and the transfer of stock to another body equally on their merits through joint working by members, tenants and staff. The SIG aims to complete its work by September 2004.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the membership of the Special Interest Group be noted and the Terms of Reference be endorsed.

Background Papers (CEx)

There are no background papers (as defined by Section 100D(5) of the Local Government Act 1972) relating to this report.

20. CAPITAL FUNDING FOR AFFORDABLE HOUSING – INSTITUTE OF OCEANOGRAPHY, WORMLEY
[Ward Affected: Witley and Hambledon]

The report at Appendix P seeks authority to provide a capital grant to James Butcher Housing Association to enable the development of 21 affordable homes at the Institute of Oceanography site, in Wormley.

This project had previously been in the Council’s forward capital programme. However, in February 2003, the Government announced that the Local Authority Social Housing Grant mechanism was to be abolished. It had been expected that this scheme would have received funding under the transitional LASHG arrangements. In mid-November, the Council was advised that none of the affordable housing projects in Waverley were to be funded by way of transitional LASHG.

In order to secure the 21 units of affordable housing, it is proposed that the Council should make a capital grant to James Butcher Housing Association amounting to 1,200,000 – the equivalent amount that could have been awarded under the LASHG mechanism. This will secure 9 homes for rent and 12 for shared-ownership.

Recommendation

It is recommended that:

1. the Council supports James Butcher Housing Association to secure 21 affordable homes at the Institute of Oceanography, Wormley – 9 homes for rent and 12 for shared-ownership – in accordance with the Section 106 Agreement;

2. the sum of 1,200,000 be provided from within the Council’s Capital Programme for 2003/04 resources; and

3. James Butcher Housing Association’s bid to the Housing Corporation be supported.


21. PUBLIC SPEAKING AT DEVELOPMENT CONTROL MEETINGS
[Wards Affected: All]

The purpose of the report at Appendix Q is to set out a proposal for Public Speaking at Development Control and Area Development Control Sub-Committees based on the discussions and conclusions of earlier meetings of the Special Interest Group (SIG) and consideration by the Development Control Committee on 29th October 2003.

The Development Control Committee resolved to recommend the Public Speaking Scheme to the Executive as a pilot, to be reviewed not later than six months after its commencement.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the Executive agrees the proposed pilot public speaking scheme and instructs officers to carry out its implementation with a view to commencing the first meetings at which public speaking will take place in April 2004.

22. PLANNING POLICY STATEMENT 12 - LOCAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORKS
[Wards Affected: All]

The government has published a draft Planning Policy Statement (PPS) on Local Development Frameworks (LDFs) : the new type of Local Plan. Comments are requested by 16th January 2004. The report at Appendix R looks at the PPS and the implications for Waverley, and puts forwards comments on the issues arising.

Recommendation

That the observations in the report be agreed and conveyed to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.

23. DRAFT TRAFFIC ORDERS FOR THE HINDHEAD TUNNEL AND A3 ISSUED BY THE HIGHWAYS AGENCY
[Wards Affected:Elstead and Thursley; All Haslemere Wards; Hindhead]

The Traffic Orders for the Hindhead Tunnel and A3 were published on 23rd October 2003 by the Highways Agency. The Borough Council is a consultee. The report at Appendix S sets out the highway scheme and the issues that have arisen and invites the Executive to make any further observations. This matter has been considered by the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the Executive notes the comments of the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee and proposes that these comments, along with any further observations, are passed to the Council with a recommendation that they are forwarded to the Highways Agency as Waverley Borough Council’s response to the draft Orders.


24. STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES FOR THE HINDHEAD AREA
[Wards Affected:Elstead and Thursley; All Haslemere Wards; HIndhead]

The report at Appendix T sets out the background to the Statement of Principles that has been produced by the main organisations concerned with the future of the Hindhead area. The purpose of the Statement is to arrive at a broad consensus on the land use potentials that could be unlocked by the building of the tunnel, and the Statement is included in full in the report.

Recommendation


25. THE MUSEUM OF FARNHAM – A RECONSIDERATION
[Wards Affected: All Farnham Wards]

The report at Appendix U reconsiders the outcome of the 2002 Fundamental Service Review into Museums and Galleries. It provides new information in relation to the Museum of Farnham and produces different conclusions.

Recommendation

It is recommended that:-

1. the conclusions and recommendations of the Fundamental Service Review be not progressed; and

2. the declared preferred option for managing the Museum of Farnham on its present site into the foreseeable future be as a core service of Waverley Borough Council.

26. FARNHAM MALTINGS REFURBISHMENT
[Wards Affected: All Farnham Wards]

In December 2001, the Council endorsed the following recommendations of the Executive:-

1. The Maltings be offered a loan of up to 50,000, funded from the Capital Programme and repayable without interest over a five year period, for the purpose of securing the services of a fundraiser; and

2. Waverley commits in principle to match funding raised by the Maltings for the specific projects put forward (or such changes as agreed by Waverley) on the basis of one third Waverley funding for two thirds Maltings funding up to a maximum funding from Waverley of 750,000.

The Maltings have recently employed the services of a fundraiser and have called on their interest free loan set out under recommendation 1 above. The report at Appendix V sets out details of the proposed refurbishment and seeks Executive approval for matched-funding for the scheme.


Recommendation

It is therefore recommended that:-

1. Waverley commits to match funding raised by the Maltings for the specific project of Phase 1 refurbishment on the basis of one-third Waverley Funding for two thirds Maltings funding up to a maximum of 400,000, subject to meeting the conditions of the matched funding scheme;

2. the sum of 400,000 is included in the draft capital programme for 2004/5; and

3. the remaining sum of 350,000 is committed in principle to funding future phases of the refurbishment on the basis of one-third Waverley Funding to two-thirds Maltings funding.

27. DEALING WITH DANGEROUS TREES
[Ward Affected: All]


Recommendation

It is recommended that:

1. the post of Arboricultural Officer be an established post in the Environment and Leisure Department;

2. a provision of 31,000 be included in the draft officer manpower revenue budget for 2004/05, to be allocated 80% to the General Fund and 20% to the Housing Revenue Account;

3. the capital budget for remediation works of 80,000 be included in the General Fund Capital Programme and 20,000 in the Housing Revenue Account in ensuing years, the level of this budget to be subject to ongoing annual review; and

4. the 2003/4 Capital Programme be increased by 10,000 within the General Fund to enable urgent remedial work to be carried out during the remainder of the year.

28. PROVISION OF YOUTH SHELTERS
[Wards Affected: Haslemere Wards; Milford]

The purpose of the report at Appendix X is to update members on the progress of the project to provide youth shelters in Lion Green, Haslemere and Jubilee Fields, Milford.


Recommendation

The Executive is requested to endorse the work of the officers in delivering these partnership projects and to note the progress made to date.

Other Matters

29. TREASURY MANAGEMENT – BORROWING AND INVESTMENT TRANSACTIONS AND PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT
[Wards Affected: N/A]

The purpose of the report to Appendix Y is to summarise Waverley’s investment performance for the half year ended 30th September 2003 in accordance with Waverley’s Treasury Management Policy and the Code of Practice on Treasury Management in Local Authorities.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the report on this matter be accepted.

30. LOCAL GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION 2004 ANNUAL CONFERENCE - APPOINTMENTS
[Ward Affected: N/A]

The Local Government Association (LGA) will be holding its Annual Conference and Exhibition, together with the Annual Meeting of the General Assembly, at Bournemouth from 6th – 9th July next year and Waverley will need to appoint its representatives.

Recommendation

It is recommended that, as in previous years, the Leader of the Council (or deputy) and the Chief Executive attend the L.G.A. Annual Conference and Annual Meeting of the General Assembly in Bournemouth in 2004.

Background Papers (CEx)

Communication from LGA dated 13.11.03.

31. EDWIN ABBOT MEMORIAL COTTAGES TRUST – APPOINTMENT OF TRUSTEE
[Wards Affected: N/A

Mrs P Hibbert is one of three representatives on this Trust and her current four year term of office expires at the end of 2003. There are two other trustees whose terms of office expire next year. Mrs Hibbert has expressed a wish to serve for a further four year period.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the Executive considers the appointment of a Trustee to the Edwin Abbot Memorial Cottages Trust for the period 2003-2007.

Background Papers (CEx)

There are no background papers (as defined by section 100D(5) of the Local Government Act 1972) relating to this report.
32. AREA PASSENGER TRANSPORT CONSULTATIVE GROUP – APPOINTMENT OF REPRESENTATIVE
[Wards Affected: All]

In order to engage key stakeholders in the planning of passenger transport in Surrey, the Executive of Surrey County Council has agreed to the setting up of three Area Passenger Transport Consultative Groups to consider and advise on the provision of public transport and the future shape of the bus network. Waverley, along with Guildford, Surrey Heath and Woking, will be covered by the West Surrey South Group.

Each group will be administered and chaired by the County Council and organisations to be represented will encompass:-

Members of Surrey County Council District and Borough Councils Local (Joint) Committees Parish Councils Transport User Groups Community Transport Groups Transport operators, both bus and rail Surrey Community Action Residents’ Associations

It is understood that the first meetings are planned to be held early in 2004. However, no decisions have yet been taken on where the meetings should be held or at what time of day. The County are inviting comments in this regard.

The letter from the County Council states that the first meetings will look at the scope and detail of bus services that are currently paid for by the County Council, which is facing steep rises in the cost of providing such services. There will also be an opportunity to raise issues about local rail stations and train services, which are currently dealt with at the Surrey Rail Forum. Transferring these issues to the three groups will allow a greater local focus. Consequently, the Rail Forum itself will in future meet to discuss only strategic rail matters. Currently, Waverley is represented on the Rail Forum by Mr M W Byham and Mr B G Shelley.

Recommendation

It is recommended that Waverley appoints a representative(s) to serve on the West Surrey South Area Passenger Transport Consultative Group for the remainder of the current Council year.

Background Papers (CEx)

Communication from Surrey County Council Executive Member for Transportation dated 5th November 2003.
33. COMMUNITY SAFETY– APPOINTMENT OF REPRESENTATIVEs to briefing/CONSULTATIVE group
[Wards Affected: All]

The Waverley Community Safety Executive (WCSE) was established under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 to carry forward community safety work in partnership. A proposal to set up a twice-yearly briefing/consultative meeting involving attendance by members was discussed by the WCSE earlier this year. The Executive is now asked to consider the appointment of two Waverley member representatives to attend the consultative meetings ‘to enable those members to be briefed on key Crime and Disorder and Community Safety issues in Waverley and to discuss related strategic and policy issues’.

Background Papers (CEx)

Communication from Waverley Local Director, Surrey County Council.

34. ACTION TAKEN SINCE LAST MEETING

To note the following decision taken by the Chief Executive, after consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman, since the last meeting. The Register of Decisions will be laid on the table half an hour before the meeting.

The Edge Sports Centre – All Weather Pitch Contract

To authorise settlement of a claim made by Heydour Contract Services Limited, this to be funded by a virement from within the Environment and Leisure capital budget.

35. EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider the following recommendation on the motion of the Chairman:-

Recommendation

That pursuant to Procedure Rule 20 and in accordance with Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following item on the grounds that is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the public were present during that item there would be disclosure to them of exempt information (as defined by Section 100I of the Act) of the description specified in those paragraphs of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Act listed below (Item 36) or as identified at the meeting (Item 37).

Information relating to any particular occupier or former occupier of, or applicant for, accommodation provided by or at the expense of the authority (paragraph 3).

Information relating to any particular applicant for, or recipient or former recipient of, any service provided by the authority (paragraph 4).

Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (other than the authority) (paragraph 7)

Any terms proposed or to be proposed by or to the authority in the course of negotiations for a contract for the acquisition or disposal of property or the supply of goods or services (paragraph 9).

36. ACQUISITION OF PROPERTIES IN HASLEMERE
[Wards Affected: N/A]

To consider the report at (Exempt) Appendix Z.

37. ANY OTHER ISSUES TO BE CONSIDERED IN EXEMPT SESSION

To consider matters, if any, relating to aspects of any reports on the agenda which, it is felt, may need to be considered in exempt session.


For further information or assistance, please telephone Robin Pellow,
Head of Committee and Member Services on extension 3222 or 01483 523222.