Waverley Borough Council Home Page Waverley Borough Council Home Page


Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document

Meeting of the Executive held on 06/09/2005
Updated Agenda for the Meeting to be Held on 6th September 2005




Fax No: 01483-523475
Your ref:
Our ref:
When calling please ask for: David Bennett
Direct line: 01483 523226
E-mail: dbennett@waverley.gov.uk
Date: 25th August 2005



To: All Members of the EXECUTIVE
(Agenda pages to other
Members for Information)


Membership of the Executive
Miss G B W Ferguson (Chairman)Mr C H Mansell
Mrs C E Savage (Vice-Chairman)Mr K T Reed
Mr S D EdgeMr J E Robini
Mr B Grainger-JonesMr V K Scrivens
Mr P Haveron

Dear Sir/Madam

A meeting of the EXECUTIVE will be held as follows:-

Yours faithfully

CHRISTINE L POINTER

Chief Executive
* This meeting will be preceded by an open public question time
beginning at 6.45 p.m.
[The meeting may be broadcast via webcast to the internet.]


UPDATED AGENDA

NOTE FOR MEMBERS

Contact Officers are shown at the end of each report and members are welcome to raise questions, make observations etc. in advance of the meeting with the appropriate officer.
AGENDA

1. MINUTES

To confirm the Minutes of the Meeting of the Executive held on 12th July 2005 (to be laid on the table half an hour before the meeting).

2. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To advise the Executive of any apologies for absence.

3. DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS

To receive from member’s declarations of personal and prejudicial interests in relation to any items included on the agenda for this meeting in accordance with the Waverley Code of Local Government Conduct.

4. QUESTIONS

The Chairman to respond to any questions received from members of the public, notice of which has been given in accordance with Procedure Rule 10.

5. EXECUTIVE FOUR MONTH ROLLING PROGRAMME
[Wards Affected: All]

To adopt the four month rolling programme of key decisions for Waverley Borough Council at Appendix A - for all Members of the Council.

6. NOTICE OF MOTION

6.1 In accordance with Procedure Rule 12.1, the following notice of motion was moved by Mr P D Harmer, and seconded, at the Council meeting on 19th July 2005.

“In order to clarify the procedure of the Council, and to ensure that the Council’s procedure conforms to both the spirit and the letter of the Local Government Acts, to modify the Council’s Constitution, Rules of Procedure and Articles as follows:-

In Part 1, “Summary and Explanation”, on Page 2, in the section “How the Council operates”, in the fifth paragraph commencing “The Council is empowered ….”, in the sub-paragraph labelled “Part II and Part III, to add:-

‘Any information which is included in such statement or question and which has not previously been formally presented to the Council shall be the subject of a report to the next meeting of the Executive or, where appropriate, the relevant Regulatory Committee.

Members of the Executive may not normally bring forward new information under this procedure. In emergency, the Chairman of the meeting may permit a member of the Executive to bring forward new information under this procedure, but that new information shall then be subjected to debate as though it had been a Part item.

When a member or members of the Executive give(s) notice to speak on any item of an Executive report, the member or members of the Executive shall be heard before any other member of the Council”.

6.2 In accordance with Procedure Rule 12.3, this motion stands referred to this meeting of the Executive.

6.3 Members are advised that this matter will be picked up by the current review of the Constitution and it would be appropriate therefore to defer its consideration until the October meeting of the Executive when there will be a comprehensive report from the Constitution Special Interest Group (SIG) which meets next on Friday, 9th September.

7. A LOCAL AREA AGREEMENT FOR SURREY
[Wards Affected: All]

The purpose of the report at Appendix B is to summarise Government policy in respect of Local Area Agreements, inform Members of progress in developing a Local Area Agreement for Surrey and identify the implications for Waverley of this Council’s participating in a Surrey Local Area Agreement.

That members note the content of this report and support the initial stages in developing a Local Area Agreement for Surrey.

8. COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS FUND 2005/06 NEW FARNHAM REPERTORY COMPANY SEASON 2005 APPLICATION
[Wards Affected: All]

The purpose of the report at Appendix C is to consider the New Farnham Repertory Company’s request for funding from the Community Partnership Fund in 2005/06 for their fifth season of Theatre in Farnham.

Advice is sought from the Executive on the following:-

1. Whether normal grant conditions should be waived, and a grant awarded from the Community Partnerships Fund Small Grant Scheme as a contribution towards the fifth season of theatre production, based on the conditions as outlined in paragraph 9 of the report. 2. The level of grant awarded, if funding is approved.
9. PROPOSED EXTENSION TO THE HASLEMERE CONSERVATION AREA
[Ward Affected: Haslemere South]

The report at Appendix D sets out the responses to the public consultation on the proposed extension to the Haslemere conservation area, and makes a recommendation about the boundary.

Recommendation

That, subject to the observations of the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee, the extension to the Haslemere Conservation Area boundary, as shown on the plan at Annexe 2 to the report, be agreed and be submitted to the Council for designation

10. CONCESSIONARY FARES - INTRODUCTION OF FREE TRAVEL
[Wards Affected: All]

The report at Appendix E advises of the potential impact of the Chancellor’s 2005 budget announcement to introduce statutory free concessionary travel on local bus services for people over 60 and for disabled people, from 1st April 2006.

Recommendation

The Executive is asked to note this report and to await further information on the allocation of funding.

11. LEASE OF THE MOAT, ELSTEAD TO ENGLISH NATURE
[Ward Affected: Elstead and Thursley]
The purpose of the report at Appendix F is to seek approval for a five year lease of the Moat countryside site to English Nature.

Recommendation

That a lease of the Moat be granted to English Nature for an initial period of five years on the terms set out in the (Exempt) Annexe to the report.

12. BUDGET MONITORING - JULY 2005
[Wards Affected: All]

The report at Appendix G provides details of the expenditure and income position to the end of July 2005 compared with budget for the General Fund and the Housing Revenue Account.

Recommendation

That the report be received, being the financial position to 31st July 2005.

13. CASH COLLECTION
[Wards Affected: N/A]

The report at Appendix H advises the Executive of the collection performance in respect of council tax and non-domestic rates for the current financial year compared to the previous year.

Recommendation

That the report be noted.

14. STAFFING BUDGET - SCHEME OF DELEGATION
[Wards Affected: N/A]

The report on Appendix I seeks approval to the re-introduction of a delegated authority to the Chief Executive to allow the Chief Executive, in consultation with the Leader and the Portfolio Holder for Finance and Human Resources, to make immediate decisions relating to achieving savings in the staffing budget.

Recommendation

It is recommended that:-

1. the delegation arrangements to enable the Chief Executive, after consultation with the Leader and the Portfolio Holder for Finance and Human Resources, to make decisions in relation to achieving savings in the staffing budget be re-introduced with immediate effect; and

2. such delegations should continue for the period up to 31st March 2007 when it would be further reviewed.

15. ACTION TAKEN SINCE LAST MEETING

To note the following decision taken by the Chief Executive, after the appropriate member consultation, since the last meeting. The Register of Decisions will be laid on the table half an hour before the meeting.

Appointment of Additional Members To Serve on the Modernising Planning Special Interest Group (SIG)

To authorise the appointment of additional members, Mr L C Bate, Mrs P M Frost and Dr P M Marriott, to serve on the Modernising Planning SIG for the remainder of the current Council year.

16. EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

That pursuant to Procedure Rule 20 and in accordance with Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded during consideration of the following item(s) on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the public were present during the item(s), there would be disclosure to them of exempt information (as defined by Section 100I of the Act) or the description specified in the appropriate paragraphs of Part I of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972 (to be identified at the meeting).

17. ANY OTHER MATTERS TO BE CONSIDERED IN EXEMPT

To consider matters, if any, relating to aspects of any reports on the Agenda which, it is felt, may need to be considered in exempt session.


For further information or assistance, please telephone Robin Pellow, Head
of Committee and Member Services, on extension 3222 or 01483 523222.
comms/executive/2005-06/101