Waverley Borough Council Home Page Waverley Borough Council Home Page


Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document

Meeting of the Executive held on 06/12/2005
Extract from The Surrey Waste Plan - Preferred Plan 2005



ANNEXE 1
Extract from The Surrey Waste Plan – Preferred Plan 2005.


Chapter 1; THE BASIS FOR THE SURREY WASTE PLAN.

1.1 SURREY

A1 Surrey is one of England’s smallest counties at around 650 square miles, but has one of the largest populations of over 1,000,000. It is the most urbanised shire county in England with about 85% of people living in urban areas. It has a highly developed economy, with significant job growth and very high average income levels.

A2 The Metropolitan Green Belt covers over 70% of Surrey, and much of the County is also covered by the Surrey Hills and High Weald Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The County is also home to a number of Parks and Gardens, Sites of Special Scientific Interest and Areas of Great Landscape Value. The Rivers Thames, Mole and Wey all contribute to the County’s diverse landscape characters.


1.2 WASTE GENERATION AND MANAGEMENT IN SURREY

A3 There are many different types of waste – the word waste is a generic term given to describe many different materials that, essentially are to be discarded. The Waste Development documents in this Plan apply to all wastes.


1.3 HOW MUCH WASTE IS PRODUCED AND HOW IS IT MANAGED?

A4 Waste is usually looked at in terms of different waste streams, which reflect the nature of the waste and how it is collected and disposed:

Municipal Solid Waste – In 2004/05, waste arisings were about 623 000 tonnes with households in Surrey generating around 587 000 tonnes of that. In 2004/5 most Municipal Solid Waste was landfilled (around 75% or 442 000 tonnes), with the remaining 25% recycled or composted.

Commercial and Industrial Waste – It is estimated that current commercial and industrial waste arisings in Surrey are around 780 000 tonnes per annum. Forecasts indicate that almost half will be landfilled with 40% recycled and 11% going for recovery.

Construction and Demolition Waste - Waste arisings in Surrey are estimated to be fairly stable at around 1.9 million tonnes per annum, with currently 45% recycled, 31% sent to landfill sites, and the remaining 24% sent to exempt sites (‘exempt’ sites refers to those that are exempt from requiring an Environment Agency waste management licence), such as agricultural improvement schemes, golf course contouring etc.

Hazardous Waste – Approximately 49 000 tonnes of hazardous waste was produced in Surrey. Only one hazardous waste facility has been licensed within Surrey, a separate cell at the Patteson Court Landfill, Redhill for stabilised, non-reactive wastes, but is not currently operational.

A5 Not all waste generated in Surrey is managed within the County. Nor does all the waste managed in Surrey have its origins in the County. A portion of Surrey’s waste is exported out of the County, mostly to landfill. In addition, Surrey has, for many years, been landfilling a portion of London’s waste due to its proximity to the Capital and its relative availability of void space.

1.4 WASTE GROWTH

A6 The volume of waste produced in the South East Region has been growing at over 3% per annum. The Integrated Waste Management Strategy for Surrey projected 2% per annum growth in municipal solid waste to 2010 and 1% pa growth thereafter. In essence, the average Surrey resident is increasing the amount of waste they produce each year, although the rate of growth has fallen recently and changes will be monitored. Around 0.5% of the annual waste growth in Surrey is due to the increasing number of households.

A7 The current growth rate for commercial and industrial waste arisings is around 2% per year. The lack of historical data on construction and demolition waste arisings makes it difficult to estimate current trends in arisings, but they are likely to be in line with the level of construction and demolition activity. Improved construction methods mean that an increasing amount of waste is processed and reused on site. This could have the result of reducing the growth of construction and demolition waste over time.