Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee held on 23/05/2006
2006/07 Best Value Performance Plan
Waverley Borough Council
ENVIRONMENT & LEISURE OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE
23rd MAY 2006
2006/07 Best Value Performance Plan
and Performance Indicator Monitoring
[Wards Affected: All]
Summary and purpose:
For Best Value Performance Indicators (BVPIs), the Council is required to set targets as far ahead as financial year 2008/09, and publish these in its annual Best Value Performance Plan. Waverley Borough Council also manages its performance against a set of Local Performance Indicators (LoPIs). This paper presents officer recommendations on target-setting and reporting structure for all performance indicators.
This report has no direct environmental implications.
Social / community implications:
This report has no direct social / community implications.
The Best Value Performance Plan, to which this report refers, must be published on the Waverley Borough Council website by 30th June 2006.
Resource and legal implications:
This report has no direct resource or legal implications.
1. Waverley BC is required, by statute, to produce and publish an annual Best Value Performance Plan (‘BVPP’) by 30th June. The BVPP is normally published as an annexe to the Corporate Strategy on the Council’s website.
2. In the BVPP, the Council is required to include the following information:
2005/06 outturn for all of the Best Value Performance Indicators (‘BVPIs’) against which it has been measured in 2005/06, and the target outturn it was working towards for those indicators.
Targets for all of the BVPIs against which it will be measured in 2006/07, to cover 2006/07, 2007/08 and 2008/09.
A statement on Waverley’s contracts process.
3. Using both the targets set out in the Best Value Performance Plan and the targets set for Waverley’s local performance indicators, the Overview and Scrutiny Committees and the Executive monitor the Council’s progress on a quarterly basis. Each committee selects a range of indicators relevant to its specific remit.
Best Value Performance Plan – Target Setting
4. The table at
Annexe 1 (To Follow
) contains a complete listing of the BVPIs against which Waverley Borough Council has worked in 2005/06.
5. For the BVPIs, target setting is directed to take place in one of three ways:
Locally (i.e. internally)
Based on top quartile information for districts (predetermined)
In line with the advice of another agency / Government department (e.g. Police)
6. Where the process of target setting is not open to member or officer influence, the target figures for forthcoming years appear in bold type.
7. Where target figures appear in normal type, these are either the targets contained in last year’s BVPP, or officer recommendations on appropriately challenging but realistic figures. This will be explained more fully in the comments column on the right hand side.
Local Performance Indicators
8. Also contained within the table at Annexe 1 are the Local Performance Indicators (LoPIs) against which Waverley Borough Council has worked in 2005/06.
9. The targets for all of the LoPIs are set locally, without external prescription. However, officers may base target recommendations on best practice guidance in their area of work.
10. Waverley Borough Council is not required to publish information on these indicators in its BVPP, and therefore target setting
only cover financial year 2006/07 at present.
11. The committees to which the performance indicators are reported are asked, on an annual basis, to review the set of indicators that they wish to monitor over the course of the financial year.
12. Whilst many indicators can be produced on a quarterly basis, the committees may also wish to pass comment on the frequency with which they would like to view the data.
13. The reporting structure arising from the deliberations of all three Overview and Scrutiny Committees will be passed to the Executive, for their information.
Changes to Indicators
14. Whilst there is no scope for changes to the BVPIs in Annexe 1, it is possible to add and remove indicators from the list of LoPIs.
15. The feasibility of requests for new indicators will be discussed with officers, and reported back to the Overview and Scrutiny committees in conjunction with the First Quarter performance information.
The Committee is asked to pass to the Executive any comments it may have on the targets for the BVPIs contained in Annexe 1.
The Committee is asked to pass to the Executive any comments it may have on the targets for the LoPIs contained in Annexe 1.
The Committee is asked to indicate which of the indicators in Annexe 1 they wish to review over the course of 2006/07, and with what frequency.
The Committee is asked to pass to the Executive any comments it may have on the introduction, or deletion, of LoPIs.
There are no background papers (as defined by Section 100D(5) of the Local Government Act 1972) relating to this report.
Name: Christopher Ash Telephone: