Waverley Borough Council Home Page Waverley Borough Council Home Page


Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document

Meeting of the Executive held on 12/07/2005
Agenda for the Meeting to be held on 12th July 2005




Fax No: 01483-523475
Your ref:
Our ref:
When calling please ask for: David Bennett
Direct line: 01483 523226
E-mail: dbennett@waverley.gov.uk
Date: 1st July 2005


To: All Members of the EXECUTIVE
(Agenda pages to other
Members for Information)

Membership of the Executive
Miss G B W Ferguson (Chairman)Mr C H Mansell
Mrs C E Savage (Vice-Chairman)Mr K T Reed
Mr S D EdgeMr J E Robini
Mr B Grainger-JonesMr V K Scrivens
Mr P Haveron

Dear Sir/Madam

A meeting of the EXECUTIVE will be held as follows:-

Yours faithfully

CHRISTINE L POINTER

Chief Executive

* This meeting will be preceded by an open public question time
beginning at 6.45 p.m.

[The meeting may be broadcast via webcast to the internet.]

NOTE FOR MEMBERS

Contact Officers are shown at the end of each report and members are welcome to raise questions, make observations etc. in advance of the meeting with the appropriate officer.
AGENDA

1. MINUTES

To confirm the Minutes of the Meeting of the Executive held on 14th June 2005 (to be laid on the table half an hour before the meeting).

2. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To advise the Executive of any apologies for absence.

3. DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS

To receive from member’s declarations of personal and prejudicial interests in relation to any items included on the agenda for this meeting in accordance with the Waverley Code of Local Government Conduct.

4. QUESTIONS

The Chairman to respond to any questions received from members of the public, notice of which has been given in accordance with Procedure Rule 10.

5. EXECUTIVE FOUR MONTH ROLLING PROGRAMME
[Wards Affected: All]

To adopt the four month rolling programme of key decisions for Waverley Borough Council at Appendix A - for all Members of the Council

6. FINANCIAL STRATEGY

To consider the report at Appendix B – to follow.

7. DRAFT STATEMENT OF ACCOUNTS 2004/05
[Wards Affected: N/A]
The purpose of the report at Appendix C is for the Executive to approve the Draft Statement of Accounts for the year ended 31st March 2005.

Recommendation

That the Executive recommends the Draft Statement of Accounts for the financial year ended 31st March 2005 for approval by Council.

8. FINDINGS OF WASTE MANAGEMENT SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP (SIG)
[Wards Affected: All]
The Waste Management Special Interest Group was due to come to final conclusions on waste and recycling at its meeting on 28th June. The Environment Overview and Scrutiny (ELOS) Committee is due to consider the matter at a Special Meeting on 4th July, to which all Members of the Council have been invited. Executive Members are asked to bring with them to the Executive Meeting the paper that has been circulated to all members of the Council for the Special ELOS meeting. The views of ELOS will follow – Appendix D

9. PROCUREMENT ACTIVITIES AND CONSIDERATION OF E-PROCUREMENT OPTIONS
[Wards Affected: N/A]

The report at Appendix E should be read in conjunction with the accompanying report on purchasing cards and purchase order processing. There are other forms of “e-procurement” that Waverley should also consider, and this report outlines these as well as giving a picture of current procurement activity.

Recommendation

In the light of the matters discussed in the report, it is recommended that:-

1. a further analysis of Waverley’s spending on works, goods and services be undertaken with a view to identifying scope for collaborative and e-procurement benefits;

2. a business case for e-tendering be considered; and

3. Waverley works with the SECE in respect of e-marketplaces.

10. E-PROCUREMENT – PROCUREMENT CARDS AND PURCHASE ORDER PROCESSING
[Wards Affected: N/A]

The report at Appendix F should be read in conjunction with the accompanying report on Procurement Activities and Consideration of e-Procurement Options.

The purpose of this report is to evaluate two alternative technical solutions to automating the procurement process, Procurement Cards and Purchase Order Processing, and to propose:

▪ that the use of Procurement Cards be piloted for the purchase of high volume/low value goods; and

▪ that the council does not invest in the implementation of a purchase order processing system.

Recommendation

In the light of the arguments set out in Annexes 1 and 2 of the report, it is recommended that:

2. the Council does not invest in the implementation of a Purchase Order Processing system; and

3. the introduction of DIP and workflow in the processing of payment of invoices be investigated in the context of a wider review of document scanning.

11. IMPLEMENTING E-GOVERNMENT RETURN 2005 MID-TERM (IEG 4.5)
[Wards Affected: All]

The purpose of the report at Appendix G is to approve the submission of the Council’s “Implementing Electronic Government Return 2005 Mid Term” (IEG4.5) to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM).

Recommendation

The Executive is recommended to approve Waverley’s IEG4 Return for submission to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister by 18th July 2005.

12. MEMBERS’ INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY FACILITIES
[Wards Affected: N/A]

In November 2004, the Executive agreed a policy regarding the provision of IT and phone facilities to Members. With the rapid development of the residential broadband market and the reduction in price for these facilities, in February 2005, the Executive considered a proposed revision to the policy and agreed that the Director of Finance and the Portfolio Holder for Finance should agree a scheme for the provision of Members’ internet and phone line and report back to a future meeting. The report at Appendix H refers.


Recommendation

It is recommended that the Executive:-

1. agrees to the proposals for the future provision for Members’ broadband facilities, as set out in Annexe 1 to the report;

2. agrees on one of the options for the provision of broadband facilities for Members, as set out in the report; and

3. requests officers to re-draft the policy for Members' IT facilities in the light of the agreed changes and that this be circulated to all Members.

13. EAST STREET/RIVERSIDE, FARNHAM

[Wards Affected: All Farnham Wards]
13.1 Dogflud Car Park

To consider the report at Appendix I.1 – to follow.

13.2 Riverside Site

To consider the report at Appendix I.2 – to follow.

14. ACCESS TO INFORMATION
[Wards Affected: N/A]

Recommendation

It is recommended that the Executive

1. endorses the action that needs to be taken to ensure that the Council can comply with its statutory obligations; and

2. gives delegated authority to the Monitoring Officer to authorise the release of those parts of exempt committee reports that fall under Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended) but subsequently become appropriate for disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.


15. REPORT OF CONSTITUTION REVIEW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP (SIG)

[Wards Affected: N/A]
The Constitution SIG has met and is recommending the Executive as follows:

(a) Terms of Reference

(b) Waverley’s Overview and Scrutiny Process

(ii) That the Executive agree to the amendments to Article 6 of the Constitution, as outlined in the report;

(iii) That the Executive agree the amendment to Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Procedure Rule 15 (c), as outlined in the report;

(v) That the Executive agree the amendment to Schedule 3 of the Members Allowances Scheme, as outlined in the report.

16. CORPORATE PLAN 2005/06
[Wards Affected: All]
To consider the report at Appendix L – to follow.

17. BEST VALUE AND LOCAL PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
[Wards Affected: All]
To consider the report at Appendix M – to follow.

18. REVISIONS TO THE COUNCIL’S ALLOCATION POLICY FOR HOUSING
[Wards Affected: All]

The report at Appendix N, which has already been considered by the Community Overview and Scrutiny Committee, proposes changes to the Council’s existing Housing Allocation Policy.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the revised draft Allocations Policy, as contained in Annexe 1 to the report, be approved.

19. FUTURE IMPACT OF THE PROPOSED STOCK TRANSFER ON THE HOUSING DEPARTMENT STRUCTURE: RETAINED AND TRANSFERRING HOUSING FUNCTIONS
[Wards Affected: All]
The report at Appendix O proposes basic principles for the future split of landlord and strategic housing services post transfer. If tenants support the Stock Transfer proposal, the majority of the housing department will be transferred to the new landlord. The retained Housing Service needs to ensure that the Council fulfils its statutory housing responsibilities.

Recommendation

The Executive is commended to adopt the following principles on the future division of the Housing Department:-
▪ Housing Advice
▪ Statutory Homelessness Assessments
▪ Maintenance of Housing Needs Register
▪ Ownership of Temporary Accommodation
▪ Domestic Violence Outreach Workers
▪ Community Care
▪ Enabling and Strategic ▪ Management and Maintenance of Temporary Accommodation
▪ Housing Management, Rents and Housing Maintenance Teams
▪ Careline Service
▪ Housing Performance

[If tenants vote in favour of a Stock Transfer, detailed work will be completed and presented to examine team functions, individual’s roles and responsibilities and a new structure for the retained housing role.]

20. PROVISIONAL PROGRAMME OF CAPITAL WORKS FOR REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE TO THE HOUSING REVENUE ACCOUNT PROPERTIES
[Wards Affected: All]
The report at Appendix P seeks approval from the Executive for the Provisional Programme of Work for Repairs and Maintenance to the Housing Revenue Account Properties.

Recommendation

That the Executive notes the Provisional Repairs Programmes to the Council's Housing Revenue Account Properties, as detailed in the (Exempt) Annexes to the report.

21. BRIGHTWELLS GOSTREY CENTRE – UPDATE ON PROGRESS
[Wards Affected: All Farnham Wards]

On 7th February 2005, the Executive agreed that officers undertake a feasibility study, draw up plans and make a financial appraisal for the provision of a new facility for the Brightwells Gostrey Centre in Farnham. The report at Appendix Q, which was considered by the Community Overview and Scrutiny Committee, seeks to update Members on the progress made.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the fees, as outlined in the (Exempt) Annexe to the report, be paid to the Council's consultant architect.

22. MEMBER/TENANTS’ SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP (SIG)

The report of the Member/Tenants’ SIG is contained at Appendix R.

23. FINDINGS OF THE MODERNISING PLANNING SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP (SIG)
[Wards Affected: All]
The Modernising Planning Special Interest Group was due to consider various matters including a proposal for modernising the Area Sub-Committee system at a meeting on 29th June. The Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny (ELOS) Committee is due to consider these matters at a Special Meeting on 4th July, to which all Members of the Council have been invited. The Development Control Committee is also considering aspects of the matter on 6th July. Executive Members are asked to bring with them to the Executive Meeting the papers that have been circulated to all members of the Council for the Special ELOS meeting. The Executive will receive a supplementary paper containing observations (Appendix S – to follow) to enable some conclusions to be drawn.

24. HOUSING LAND AVAILABILITY STATEMENT 2005 AND THE USE OF POLICY H2 OF THE WAVERLEY BOROUGH LOCAL PLAN 2002

To consider the report at Appendix T – to follow.

25. HIGH HEDGES COMPLAINTS – IMPLEMENTATION OF PART 8 OF THE ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR ACT
[Wards Affected: All]

The report at Appendix U sets out the requirements of Part 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act which came into force on 1st June 2005.

Recommendation

It is recommended that:-

26. DECRIMINALISED PARKING ENFORCEMENT
[Wards Affected: All]
The purpose of the report at Appendix V is to:-

1. update Members on the negotiations with Surrey County Council on its request for Waverley to manage on-street decriminalised parking enforcement in the Borough and;

2. seek the Executive’s observations on the recommendation to enter into an Agency Agreement for that purpose.

Recommendation

It is recommended that:

1. Surrey County Council (SCC) be advised that Waverley Borough Council is prepared to manage the enforcement of decriminalised on-street parking enforcement in the Borough of Waverley on condition that SCC funds the provision of four full-time equivalent Parking Attendants and the appropriate level of supporting management, administrative and Notice processing staff and associated overheads;

2. the Director of Environment and Leisure, Director of Finance and Head of Legal Services be authorised to agree the detailed terms and conditions of an Agency Agreement for the management by Waverley Borough Council of Decriminalised Parking Enforcement in the Borough of Waverley;

and in the event that those resolutions are agreed, the Executive resolves further to:-

3. set the level of Penalty Charges for parking violations on-street and off-street at 60.00 except for expired tickets in off-street car parks which shall be fixed at 40.00. All penalties to be reduced by 50% for payment within 14 days of the offence, and incremented by 50% for payment after issue of a Charge Certificate.

4. authorise the Head of Legal Services to be granted delegated authority to enter into a National Parking Adjudication Service Section 101 Joint Committee Agreement (Local Government Act 1972); and

5. nominate a representative and substitute representative from the elected Members of the Council to serve on the National Parking Adjudication Service Joint Committee.

27. PRESS CUTTINGS SERVICE
[Wards Affected: All]
To consider the report at Appendix W – to follow.

28. STANDARDS COMMITTEE – OMBUDSMAN REPORT

To consider the report at Appendix X – to follow.

29. MANAGEMENT STRUCTURE

An oral update will be made.

30. SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS/SURREY COUNTY COUNCIL LOCAL COMMITTEE TASK GROUPS – NOMINATIONS
[Wards Affected: N/A]
(i) Godalming Leisure Needs SIG

The Portfolio Holder for Leisure, Culture and Tourism has requested that Dr J F A Blowers be added to the list of members on the Godalming Leisure Needs Special Interest Group.

Recommendation

That a formal invitation be extended to Dr Blowers to become a member of the Godalming Leisure Needs SIG.

(ii) SCC Local Committee Task Groups

The County Council has requested that Waverley nominates to a number of Task/Sub-Groups of the Waverley Local Committee as follows. The Group Leaders have been consulted and nominations are awaited at the time of writing. It would be advisable for County to have names before the next local Committee meeting on 15th July.

Farnham Transportation

Three nominations required.

Godalming Transportation

Two nominations required. Requested that Mr Byham (Local Committee Member) should continue, but one other name required.

Haslemere Transportation

Two nominations required.

Cranleigh Transportation

Two nominations required.

Tilford STAR

Two nominations required. Requested that Mr Bate and Mrs Hibbert (representatives in 2004/05) should continue.

Joint Hants/Surrey

One nomination required.

Background Papers (CEx)

Communications from Surrey County Council (Waverley Community Support Team)

31. ACTION TAKEN SINCE LAST MEETING

To note the following decision taken by the Chief Executive, after the appropriate member consultation, since the last meeting. The Register of Decisions will be laid on the table half an hour before the meeting.

Appointment of Mr P Haveron on the Modernising Planning SIG

To authorise the above appointment for the current Council year.

32. EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

That pursuant to Procedure Rule 20 and in accordance with Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following item(s) on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the public were present during the item(s), there would be disclosure to them of exempt information (as defined by Section 1001 of the Act) or the description specified in the appropriate paragraphs of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972 (to be identified at the meeting).

33. EAST STREET/RIVERSIDE

To consider the report(s) at (Exempt) Appendix Y – to follow.

34. STAFFING MATTER – PENSION SCHEME MEMBERSHIP

To consider the matter at (Exempt) Appendix Z – to follow.

35. ANY OTHER MATTERS TO BE CONSIDERED IN EXEMPT

To consider matters, if any, relating to aspects of the report on the Agenda which, it is felt, may need to be considered in exempt session.


For further information or assistance, please telephone Robin Pellow, Head
of Committee and Member Services, on extension 3222 or 01483 523222.
comms/executive/2005-06/043