Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Council held on 18/02/2003
REPORT OF DEVELOPMENT CONTROL COMMITTEE HELD ON 28TH JANUARY 2003
WAVERLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL
DEVELOPMENT CONTROL COMMITTEE – 28TH JANUARY 2003
REPORT TO THE MEETING OF THE COUNCIL ON 18TH FEBRUARY 2003
PART I – Reports containing recommendations for decision by the Council
PLANNING APPLICATION WA02/0962 – ST HILARY’S SCHOOL, HOLLOWAY HILL, GODALMING
[Ward affected: Godalming South-East]
A.1 Your Committee first considered planning application WA02/0962 relating to land at St Hilary’s School, Holloway Hill, Godalming at its meeting on 26th November 2002. The application had been referred to the Committee by the Central Area Development Control Sub-Committee which had met on 6th November 2002. A site visit for Central Area Development Control Sub-Committee and Development Control members has taken place.
A.2 The report which was considered by your Committee on 28th January 2003 is attached as an
hereto. After a full discussion of the application, your Committee agreed that permission should be granted. However, as outlined in the annexed report, whilst the officers’ recommendation was that permission be granted, the Central Area Development Control Sub-Committee had recommended that permission be refused.
A.3 In accordance with Part III of the Constitution (conditions of delegation), five members present at the meeting required that this matter be referred to Council for decision.
A.4 Having considered planning application WA02/0962 (relating to the demolition of existing CDT classroom and removal of temporary classrooms, the erection of a new classroom block and dance/drama studio at St Hilary’s School, Holloway Hill, Godalming) as described in the Annexe to this report.
A.5 Your Committee
1. permission be granted subject to the following conditions:
1. Standard approval of external materials (4.4)
2. Standard approval of surfacing materials (4.5)
3. Standard levels (4.2)
4. Standard no new windows (11.3) - *¹(rear) *²(southern)
5. Standard tree protection (25.2)
6. Standard levels and construction details (25.3)
7. Standard services (25.4)
8. Standard burning (25.5)
9. Standard method statement and supervision (25.6) - *¹(removal of hard pavement within 8 metre radius of Wellingtonias and detailing new, giving information or materials and method of installation and detailing phasing and sequence)
10. The contractor’s access and compound area, as shown on the approved drawings, shall be provided and maintained throughout the construction period relating to the development.
11. Standard landscape scheme (25.9)
12. Standard replacement trees (25.14)
13. Standard fencing (5.2) - *(southern) *(two)
14. In conjunction with Condition 1 (external materials) above, this shall include the submission of a full specification and sample of the type of glass to be used in the construction of the foyer element on the northern side of the building, before development commences.
15. The building hereby approved shall only be used for school curriculum activities and as a dance/drama studio, as described in the application, and for no other purposes unless agreed in writing with the Local Planning Authority.
16. The dance/drama studio and all activities associated with the use of the facility hereby permitted, shall cease between the hours of 10.30 pm and 9.00 am Monday to Saturday and shall not be used on Sunday s or Bank Holidays.
17. Prior to the commencement of works on site, details shall first be submitted and approved in writing of sound insulation measures proposed for the building. Following approval, those measures shall thereafter be implemented and maintained to the satisfaction of the Local Planning Authority.
18. No noise from music, including amplified or recorded sound systems generated from within the building hereby approved, shall be audible from a distance of 5 metres of a residential building.
19. Standard control of environmental effects (13.3) - *(scheme to control (i) noise and (ii) dust during construction)
20. No works or ancillary operations associated with demolition work or the construction of the development which are audible at the site boundary or at any other place as may be agreed with the Local Planning Authority, shall take place on any Sunday or Bank Holiday nor any other day except between the following times:-
Monday to Friday 0800-1800 hours
Saturday 0800-1300 hours
unless in association with an emergency.
21. Before the development hereby permitted is commenced, details shall be submitted for the approval of the Local Planning Authority for the installation of lightning conductors on to the two protected Wellingtonia trees adjacent and which shall be installed before or upon the completion of the building and shall thereafter be maintained to the satisfaction of the Local Planning Authority.
22. Before or upon the development hereby permitted is utilised, the existing buildings and structures at the school shown to be removed as part of the application, shall be dismantled and all materials removed from the site.
1-2 Standard (RC10)
3. Standard (RC8) - *(ensure the proper development of the site) *(D1 and D4)
4. Standard (RC7) - *(the amenity and privacy of adjacent residents) *(D1 and D4)
5-10 Standard (RC4) - *(long term health of the trees concerned and the character and amenities of the area) *(PE9) *(SE7) *(D6 and D7)
11-12 Standard (RC10)
13. Standard (RC8) - *(ensure the proper development of the site) *(D1 and D4)
14. Standard (RC10)
15-20 Standard (RC7) - *(ensure that the proposed development does not prejudice the amenities of neighbouring residential occupiers) *(EN1) *(D1 and D4)
21. Standard (RC4) - *(the long term health of the trees concerned and the character of the area) *(PE9 and PE10) *(SE3 and SE7) *(BE6, D1, D4 and D7)
22. Standard (RC8) - *(ensure the proper development of the site and in the interests of the character of the area) *(PE10) *(D1, D4 and BE6)
1. The applicants’ attention is drawn to the contents of the ecological survey dated October 2002 and received under cover of letter dated 14th October 2002 and, in particular, to the mitigation advice and management recommendations made in the report.
There are no background papers (as defined by Section 100D(5) of the Local Government Act 1972) relating to this report.
PART II – Matters reported in detail for the information of the Council
There are no matters falling within this category.
PART III – Brief summaries of other matters dealt with
The background papers relating to the following report items are as specified in the agenda for the meeting of the Development Control Committee.
[Wards Affected: N/A]
Your Committee has determined the applications referred to it by the Area Development Control Sub-Committees, as follows:
Outline application for re-development of site for industrial/commercial purposes (within Classes B1 and B2); construction of Enterprise Centre (comprising B1, B2 and B8 uses); together with highway works including an amended access, parking and structural landscaping and reservation of an area for sui generis (bad neighbour) uses at The Coxbridge Estate, Alton Road, Farnham
Alteration to access on land to the rear of 20 - 21 The Borough, Farnham
Variation of Legal
Erection of a replacement dwelling and studio/log store at Houndmere House, Houndown Lane, Thursley
Erection of a replacement dwelling and outbuildings following demolition of existing dwelling and outbuildings (resiting of dwelling approved under WA01/1871) at Warren Hill Farm, Elstead Road, Peper Harow, Godalming
Erection of a replacement dwelling following the demolition of the existing dwelling on land at Little Grange, Hascombe Road, Busbridge, Godalming
WA02/2342Erection of nine new dwellings with associated garages and parking following the demolition of existing buildings (revision of WA02/0691) on land at Hindhead Working Men’s Club, Grove Road, HindheadGRANTED
Conversion of property to include internal works to form four independent dwellings together with the erection of a sunroom at Hyde Farm, Guildford Road, Shamley Green
Listed Building Application for the erection of an extension and internal alterations to provide four independent dwellings together with the erection of a sunroom at Hyde Farm House, Guildford Road, Shamley Green
AREA DEVELOPMENT CONTROL SUB-COMMITTEES
[Wards Affected: All]
In addition to the matters referred to elsewhere in this report, your Committee has received brief reports from the respective Area Development Control Sub-Committees on the following matters:-
1. Planning Applications
2. Planning Appeals
3. Public Inquiry Arrangements
4. Enforcement Action – Current Situation
5. Enforcement Action – Bourne Mill, Farnham
6. Enforcement Action – Little Frillinghurst, Chiddingfold