Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Executive held on 04/07/2001
MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
MINUTES of the MEETING of the EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
held on 4th July 2001
(To be read in conjunction with the agenda for the meeting)
Mr P D Harmer (Chairman)
Dr M-G Lane
Captain P G Burden
(Vice-Chairman - in the Chair)
Mrs J M Mansley
Mr D J Munro
Mrs P M Frost
Mr J R Sandy
Mr R J Gates
Mr D C Inman
Also present: Mr M W Byham, Mrs C Craig, Mr D H Darbishire, (attending to speak in respect of Agenda Item 8), Mr M J Downes, Dr A Newton, Mr C C E Slyfield,
The Minutes of the Meeting of the Executive Committee held on 12th June 2001 were confirmed and signed.
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies were received from Mr P D Harmer.
DISCLOSURE OF PECUNIARY AND OTHER INTERESTS
There were no member disclosures made under this heading. Mr D L January declared an interest in respect of Agenda Item 13 and withdrew from the meeting during discussion of the matter.
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE - FOUR MONTH ROLLING PROGRAMME
RESOLVED that the updated Four Month Rolling Programme of Key Decisions for Waverley Borough Council be adopted.
DESIGNATION OF MONITORING OFFICER
(Agenda Item 5)
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that Mrs Anne Bott, Assistant Chief Executive, be appointed as the Council's Monitoring Officer from 27th July 2001.
SCOPE OF YEAR 2 FUNDAMENTAL SERVICE REVIEWS (
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that
1. the contents of the FSR scoping reports for Waste Management and Environmental Health be endorsed;
2. the extension to the appointment of the Robert Long Consultancy Ltd., for the purpose of assisting the Best Value Review of Waste Management be endorsed, at a cost of approximately £12,500 to be accommodated from within the approved Best Value budget, as set out in paragraph 14 of the Agenda report, and the appropriate waiving of Standing Orders (Contracts) be approved; and
3. the proposal that the Fundamental Service Review for the Local Agenda 21 Strategy is delayed until Year Five, be endorsed.
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that the contents of the FSR scoping reports for arts development and museums/galleries be endorsed; and
[Note: The scoping report on tourism development was withdrawn from the agenda, to be considered at a future meeting.]
ASSET MANAGEMENT PLAN
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that the terms of reference both for the Asset Management Group and for the Corporate Property Officer, as contained in the Annexe to the Agenda report, be approved, subject to final adjustments being agreed by the Corporate Property Officer in consultation with the appropriate Portfolio Holder.
ADDITIONAL GRANT IN RESPECT OF RENT REVIEW OF THE PREMISES OF GODALMING CITIZENS ADVICE BUREAU
1. additional grants be approved to the Godalming CAB of £4,470 for the back-rent on their premises for 2000/01 and £1,060 for the surveyors fees incurred in negotiating the rent increase, to be funded from underspends in the General Fund in 2000/01.
2. The Committee notes that the District Auditor is carrying out an independent value-for-money review of all of the CABx in Waverley.
3. Pending the outcome of the District Audit review, the Property and Development Manager be instructed to investigate the potential for Waverley using the excess Godalming CAB accommodation until April 2002 for additional Council facilities to meet the increased demand for Council accommodation which has resulted from the Government's Modernising Agenda;
4. if the Property and Development Manager concludes that Waverley's use of the Godalming CAB accommodation is possible, he be authorised to conclude terms for this use; and
5. Management Board be requested, in the first instance, to identify compensating reductions from other budgets to fund the additional costs this year of using this accommodation, and should this not be possible the Board report to a further meeting.
SPONSORED ORGANISATION SCHEME
1. the Sponsored Organisation Scheme be opened up to new organisations for applications for revenue funding as from April 2002 in accordance with previous Council decisions;
2. the overall level of funding for the Scheme be reviewed as part of the Council’s process for preparing the 2002/03 budget; and
3. the budgets for support to individual organisations remain within the appropriate portfolio budgets but that an overview report be presented to the Executive Committee when the 2002/03 budget is being considered.
TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING SUMMER SCHOOL 2001
1. up to two Members be authorised to attend the Councillors’ Summer School at the University of Exeter; and
2. the portfolio holder for Planning and Major Developments be requested to consult Members to ascertain who would be interested in attending.
DECISION TAKEN BY THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE SINCE LAST MEETING OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
(Agenda Item 11)
RESOLVED that the action taken by the Chief Executive be noted.
EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC
RESOLVED that pursuant to Standing Order 48(4) and in accordance with Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following items on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the public were present during the items, there would be disclosure to them of exempt information (as defined by Section 1001 of the Act) of the description specified in paragraph 1 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972.
((Exempt) Appendix H)
Having considered the observations of the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee it was
RESOLVED that the decision, taken by the Executive Committee at its meeting on 12th June 2001, be reaffirmed and approved.
[Note: Mr D L January declared an interest in respect of this item and left the room during discussion of the matter]
The meeting concluded at 7.15pm.