Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Council held on 18/02/2003
APPENDIX A.5 - COUNCIL TAX SETTING 2003/2004 (INCLUDING INFORMATION RECEIVED SINCE THE MEETING OF THE EXECUTIVE)
WAVERLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL
COUNCIL MEETING - 18TH FEBRUARY 2003
COUNCIL TAX SETTING 2003/2004
[Wards Affected: All]
Summary and Purpose
The purpose of this report is to enable the Council to make the necessary resolutions in relation to the setting of Council Tax for 2003/2004.
Waverley, as a billing authority for the purposes of Council Tax, is required to set its Council Tax before 11th March in the financial year preceding that for which the Council Tax is set. This report summarises all of the appropriate budgetary decisions which will have been taken to enable the level of Council Tax for 2003/2004 to be determined and specifies all of the individual levels of Council Tax for approval by the Council.
The report takes account of the decisions taken in
regarding the report from the Executive Committee in respect of Waverley’s element of the Council Tax. Additionally, for administrative purposes, Waverley’s Council Tax demand on the Collection Fund has been rounded to make it divisible by nine.
1. In setting the various Council Tax levels for 2003/2004 the Council must include all details of the precepting authorities’ requirements and have considered and, where necessary, approved the following items:
(a) the Council Tax base for 2003/2004;
(b) the Capital Programme for 2003/2004;
(c) the Revenue Estimates for 2003/2004;
(d) the amount of redistributed National Non-Domestic Rates to be received; and
(e) the amount of Revenue Support Grant to be received (as adjusted in accordance with Section (4) of the Local Government Finance Act 1988).
2. At its meeting on 17th December 2002, the Council approved the Council Tax base for Waverley and for each Town/Parish Council area for 2003/2004 totalling 52,497.1 Band D equivalents.
3. The Council, in approving
Appendices A.1 and A.2
, will have approved its Capital Programme and Revenue Estimates for 2003/2004.
4. The Surrey County Council precept requirement for 2003/2004 is £44,700,000
5. The Surrey Police Authority precept requirement for 2003/2004 is £7,091,895
6. Notifications of precept requirements have been received from all Town/Parish Councils and amount to £1,696,984
7. A statement showing the resultant Council Tax at Band D, incorporating an average Parish/Town council charge, is annexed.
8. It is now necessary to incorporate all the above-mentioned items in the calculation of the Council Tax levies and for the Council to pass the following recommendation in accordance with the requirements of Sections 32 to 36 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992.
It is recommended that the Council agrees the following resolutions:-
15.1 The following amounts having been calculated by the Council for the year 2003/2004 in accordance with the Regulations made under Section 33 (5) of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 be approved:
(a) 52,497.1 being the amount calculated by the Council, in accordance with Regulation 3 of the Local Authorities (Calculation of Council Tax Base) Regulations 1992 as its Council Tax Base for the year;
Part of the Council’s area
Band D Equivalents
being the amounts calculated by
the Council in accordance with
Regulation 6 of the Regulations as
the amounts of its Council Tax
base for the year for dwellings in
those parts of its area to which
one or more special items relate.
15.2 The following amounts have been calculated for the Council for 2003/2004 in accordance with Sections 32 to 36 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992:-
(a) £34,670,444 being the aggregate of the amounts which the Council estimates for the items set out in Section 32 (2) (a) to (e) of the Act;
(b) £20,914,460 being the aggregate of the amounts which the Council estimates for the items set out in Section 32 (3) (a) to (c) of the Act;
(c) £13,755,984 being the amount by which the aggregate at (a) above exceeds the aggregate at (b) above, calculated by the Council, in accordance with Section 32 (4) of the Act, as its budget requirement for the year;
(d) £ 5,483,956 being the aggregate of the sums that will be payable for the year into the Council’s General Fund in respect of redistributed non-domestic rates and revenue support grant, increased by the amount of the sum which the Council estimates will be transferred in the year from its Collection Fund to its General Fund in accordance with Section 97(3) of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 (Council Tax surplus).
(e) £157.61 being the amount at (c) above less the amount at (d) above, all divided by the amount at 15.1(a) above, calculated by the Council in accordance with Section 33 (1) of the Act and rounded for administrative purposes, as the basic amount of its Council Tax for the year;
(f) £1,703,204 being the aggregate amount of all special items referred to in Section 34 (1) of the Act;
(g) £125.19 being the amount at (e) above less the result given by dividing the amount at (f) above by the amount at 15.1 (a) above, calculated by the Council in accordance with the Section 34 (2) of the Act and rounded for administrative purposes, as the basic amount of its Council Tax for the year for dwellings in those parts of its area to which no special item relates;