Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Executive held on 10/07/2007
Proposed Sale of Land to rear of 20 - 30 Guildford Road, Farnham
Waverley Borough Council
EXECUTIVE – 10TH July 2007
PROPOSED SALE OF LAND TO REAR OF 20 - 30 GUILDFORD ROAD, FARNHAM
[Wards Affected: N/A]
Summary and purpose:
The land behind properties 20, 22, 24, 26, 28 and 30 Guildford Road is currently used as car parking by these houses. The use of the land is managed by annual licences and approval is sought to sell this land to the owners of the houses.
There are no environmental implications.
Social / community implications:
There are no social/community implications.
There are no e-government implications.
Resource and legal implications:
The purchaser will cover the Council’s legal costs.
1. The land to the rear of numbers 20, 22, 24, 26, 28 and 30 Guildford Road is flat and lies about 1m higher than the land to the south at Guildford Road Trading Estate. The site is currently used for car parking by all (except number 24) of the above properties. There are currently car parking spaces for 10 cars but a cleared site could hold 12 cars, thus allowing 2 parking spaces for each of the adjoining houses.
2. The Planning Department is of the informal opinion that the site is unsuitable for development. This is because it would not be practical, unless in conjunction with the commercial use at the trading estate to the south. However, the significant difference in levels is likely to mean it is not suitable for that purpose. A development of a new residential dwelling on the site would also be unlikely owing to the close relationship to other properties and trees. Therefore, there is no development value for the site.
3. The site is in need of some maintenance. The access road will need repairing and the hedges need to be cut back regularly, along with the trees that are beginning to overhang the parking spaces. In the past there has been some fly-tipping. By selling the site Waverley will divest itself of a maintenance obligation and potential liability.
4. The use of the land is currently managed by annual licences; the income from these in total is £650pa. The annual licences require management and although the owners tend to remain the same, many of the houses are let to students and therefore there is a large risk of voids. It is felt that the benefit of owning the site is not worth the burden.
5. It is proposed that the adjoining homeowners will be offered the opportunity to bid to purchase the whole of this land. It is presumed that the person who purchases the land will then manage the land him or herself. This will ensure that no land at the site is left unsold and that no responsibilities for the land remain with Waverley.
6. The land is not of much benefit to anyone other than occupiers of the houses that back on to it as there are security issues and it is not within walking distance from the town or the station. Therefore, it is proposed to restrict offers for sealed tenders to registered owners of numbers 20, 22, 24, 26, 28 and 30 Guildford Road.
It is recommended that the land to the rear of 20-30 Guildford Road, Farnham be sold to one of the registered owners of the houses that adjoin the parking area, with terms and conditions to be agreed by the Property and Development Manager.
There are no background papers (as defined by Section 100D(5) of the Local Government Act 1972) relating to this report.