Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Executive held on 03/02/2004
ADDENDUM TO APPENDICES J, K AND L
APPENDICES J, K AND L
WAVERLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL
EXECUTIVE – 3RD FEBRUARY 2004
COMMENTS FROM THE CORPORATE OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE
26TH JANUARY 2004
ELECTRONIC GOVERNMENT FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE DELIVERY – LOCALITY OFFICES PROJECT
The Committee received a report on this matter but because of time pressures at the meeting on 26th January 2004 was unable to make any observations to be passed to the Executive for consideration. However, because of its budget implications for 2004/2005, this report requires consideration alongside the other budget items on the agenda. Notwithstanding the budget implications associated with this report, there is an outstanding issue with regard to the future vision for the Locality Office and Cashiering Services which the Executive may wish to invite the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee to consider further.
It is recommended that
1. the Executive identifies how resources might be realigned to achieve the approach outlined in the report, and requests that officers submit a report accordingly; and
2. the Executive requests that the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee makes any observations on the future vision for the Locality Office service and to specifically the future of cashiering services.
REVIEW OF THE ROLE OF THE MAYOR
The Committee has given consideration to a report setting out the different roles of the Mayor and identifying areas where a Mayor could face potential financial difficulties in carrying out this public role. The Committee agreed that before taking any decisions on the future role of the Mayor, it was important to consult with the people of Waverley to evaluate what they believe the purpose and role of the Mayor should be.
The Committee agreed that the matter should be included on its own Work Programme as a review for this year and next, and that further research should be undertaken by way of questionnaires to the Citizens' Panel and Members. It was also considered that it would be useful to invite former Mayors from within the Borough and across the County to submit their views on the function of the Mayor, and attend the Committee if they wished to do so. The Committee was, however, concerned about the budget problems identified in the report and particularly difficulties about funding the Volunteers' Garden Party.
The Executive is recommended to give consideration to an appropriate budget for 2004/2005 which could be used to fund the Mayor's annual Volunteers' Garden Party.
COMMENTS FROM THE COMMUNITY OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE
27TH JANUARY 2004
RE-FOCUS OF RESOURCES IN REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE TO IMPROVE CUSTOMER SERVICE
The Committee considered the report on this matter which outlined proposals which will lead to an enhanced focus on customers and service delivery in the area of repairs and maintenance, within existing budgets.
The Executive is recommended that:
1. the proposal to re-focus the Repairs and Maintenance Service to ensure customer focus and delivery of services and a more strategic asset management of the stock be approved;
2. the revised structure outlined at (Exempt) Annexe 1 to the report be approved within the current approved staffing costs budget of £890,000, to be implemented from 1st April 2004; and
3. officers report further on partnership working with contractors as part of the outcome to the Options Appraisal process.