Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee
14th November 2006
Summary and purpose:
At the meeting of the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee it was agreed that an in-depth review should be carried out to review Surrey County Council Highways Department’s input into Development Control decisions. The purpose of this report is to update the Committee on the progress made to date.
Part of the review will consider how Surrey County Council’s policy and processes impact on environmental issues within Waverley.
Social / community implications:
The review will examine the social and community implications of Surrey’s Highway and Transportation Policy.
Part of the review will be to consider any E-Government implications from Surrey Highways input into Waverley’s planning processes.
Resource and legal implications:
There are no direct resource and legal implications associated with this report other than the officer time involved in the review. The cost and any legal implications that emerge from the review will be included as part of the final report.
1. In March 2006 the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee agreed that an in depth review into Surrey’s highways policy and processes should take place, and that District Officers from Surrey’s Highways Department should be invited to attend an Oral Hearing. This was scheduled to take place in July, but as has previously been reported to this Committee due to reorganisation that has taken place at Surrey County Council, officers at that time were not able to attend a hearing.
2. The Committee agreed that further representation should be made to Surrey’s Highways Department requesting their attendance at an Enquiry.
3. The following documents have been gathered from Surrey County Council:
· Transportation Development Control Good Practice Guide
· SCC Local Committee Report – Transportation Considerations in the Planning Process: The Role of the Highway Authority as Consultee to the Planning Authority.
4. It was stated at the Surrey County Council Local Committee (Waverley) meeting held on 13th October 2006 that a representative from Surrey’s Highways Department would probably be available to attend an Oral Hearing at Waverley. A formal invitation has now been sent to Surrey County Council for a representative of the Highways Department to attend the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee in 16th January 2007.
5. An enquiry into this will be the main Agenda item for the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee to be held on 16th January 2007
It is recommended that the Committee note the contents of this report and endorse the proposal to hold the enquiry on 16th January 2007.
There are no background papers (as defined by Section 100D(5) of the Local Government Act 1972) relating to this report.
Name: Peter Driscoll Telephone: 01483 523477