Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Executive held on 02/11/2004
Discretionary Rate Relief Guidelines Operated by Waverley Borough Council
Discretionary Rate Relief Guidelines operated by
Waverley Borough Council
(Effective from 1 April 2004)
For organisations that satisfy the conditions of Section 47 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 for the granting of discretionary relief, and who are not in receipt of mandatory relief in respect of the property, for the general categories of properties listed below the rates chargeable will be reduced by 80%.
(i) Welfare organisations; improvement of health and teaching of first aid; care of the sick and disabled.
(ii) Institutes; village halls; community centre,
(iii) Premises used for the advancement of religion,
(iv) Educational Trusts,
(v) National Trust premises,
(vi) Youth Hostel,
(vii) Youth Clubs,
(viii) the sole village store, post office and chemist shop in a rural settlement.
For organisations that satisfy the conditions of Section 47, to remit the rates chargeable on premises used as Day Centres for the Elderly, premises used for the Winterwatch Project and premises used by the following bodies:-
Scouts and Guides Associations
Hindhead Playing Fields Association
WRVS Gostrey Club
John Stanley Jeffries Swimming Pool Trust
Haslemere Educational Museum
Godalming Museum Trust
Chantrys Community Association
Remit the payment of rates chargeable against the premises used by the following bodies for the purposes specified:-
St. John Ambulance Brigade Ambulance Station
Red Cross Ambulance Station
Phyllis Tuckwell Hospice Charity Shop
Cranleigh Village Hospital Trust Charity Shop
Citizens Advice Bureaux Advice Centres
For organisations that satisfy the conditions of Section 43 (6B)
(rural rate relief provisions)
and qualify for 50% mandatory relief, to reduce the payment of rates chargeable by a further 30%, thereby giving total relief of 80%.