Waverley Borough Council Home Page Waverley Borough Council Home Page


Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document

Meeting of the Executive held on 11/07/2006
Agenda




Fax No: 01483-523475
Your ref:
Our ref:
When calling please ask for: Emma McQuillan
Direct line: 01483 523351
E-mail: emcquillan@waverley.gov.uk
Date: 3rd July 2006



To: All Members of the EXECUTIVE
(Agenda pages to other
Members for Information)


Membership of the Executive
      Miss G B W Ferguson (Chairman)
Mr C H Mansell
      Mrs C E Savage (Vice-Chairman)
Mr K T Reed
Mr S D EdgeMr J E Robini
Mr B Grainger-JonesMr V K Scrivens
      Mr P Haveron

Dear Sir/Madam

A Meeting of the EXECUTIVE will be held as follows:-

Yours faithfully

ROBIN PELLOW

Head of Committee and Member Services




[The meeting will be webcast and can be viewed by visiting
http://www.waverley.ukcouncil.net/.]

*This meeting will be preceded by an informal open question time, commencing at 6.45 p.m.




NOTE FOR MEMBERS

Contact Officers are shown at the end of each report and members are welcome to raise questions, make observations etc. in advance of the meeting with the appropriate officer.
AGENDA

1. MINUTES

To confirm the Minutes of the Meeting of the Executive held on 27th June 2006 (to be laid on the table half an hour before the meeting).

2. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To advise the Executive of any apologies for absence.

3. DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS

To receive from members, declarations of personal and prejudicial interests in relation to any items included on the agenda for this meeting in accordance with the Waverley Code of Local Government Conduct.

4. QUESTIONS

The Chairman to respond to any questions received from members of the public, notice of which has been given in accordance with Procedure Rule 10.

5. FOUR-MONTH ROLLING PROGRAMME

To adopt the Executive four-month rolling programme of key decisions for Waverley Borough Council, attached at Appendix A for all Members of the Council.

6. FINANCIAL STRATEGY

Financial Strategy - Checkpoint

(i) To consider the report at Appendix B.1– To Follow.

Introduction of an Audit Committee or Equivalent

(ii) To consider the report at Appendix B.2 -To Follow.

[This report is being considered by the Constitution Special Interest Group]

7. INTERIM MANAGEMENT ARRANGEMENTS – AMENDMENT OF GOVERNANCE RULES
[Wards Affected: N/A]

The full current text of the rules in question is not given in the report at Appendix C and members will find it within the Members’ Handbook which is issued to all Council members, and on the Waverley website.

Recommendation

It is recommended that:

1. the changes to the Scheme of Delegation, as set out in Annexe 1, be approved;

2. all references in the Scheme of Delegation to “Head of Legal Services” be replaced by “Solicitor to the Council”;

3. the changes to Contract Procedure Rules, as set out in Annexes 2 and 3, be approved;

4. references to the “Chief Executive” as contained in Financial Regulations C403 and D203 be replaced by “Managing Director”;

5. savings to be achieved from the staffing budget be delegated, in future, to the Executive; and

6. the Director who is next due to serve as Managing Director fulfills the role of deputy Managing Director.

8. REQUEST TO WAIVE CONTRACT PROCEDURE RULES

[Wards Affected: N/A]

A request is made by the Director of Finance to appoint another company to provide internal audit resources without undertaking a tendering exercise. The report at Appendix D refers.

Recommendation

It is recommended that

2. an option be included to extend the contract to encompass work contained in the 2007/08 Internal Audit Plan.

9. BRIGHTWELLS BOWLS CLUB

To consider the report at Appendix E – To Follow.

[Please note: the observations made by the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee at its meeting on 3rd July 2006 relating to Appendices F – K below will be circulated as a separate document.]





10. EAST STREET - UPDATE
[Wards Affected: All Farnham Wards]
The purpose of the report at Appendix F is to report back to members in accordance with the Council resolution of 17th May 2006 on matters relating to East Street, Farnham.

11. A CONSULTATION STRATEGY
[Wards Affected: All]
The report at Appendix G sets out a Consultation Strategy for Waverley that has been developed following a suggestion made by the Audit Commission in their CPA report.

12. POLICE RESTRUCTURING
[Wards Affected: All]
The purpose of the report at Appendix H is to update members on the developments relating to the Home Office proposal to reduce the number of police forces in England and Wales and the recent approach made to Surrey and Sussex Police to voluntarily merge. The consultation period is currently underway.


Members are invited to give views on the proposed merger and consider providing support to Surrey Police in the objection of a voluntary merger.

13. CORPORATE PLAN

[Wards Affected: All]

The report at Appendix I introduces the final draft of the 2006/2007 Corporate Plan.

14. REVIEW OF CUSTOMER SERVICES
[Wards Affected: All]
The reports at Appendices J.1 and J.2 set out information gathered by the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee as part of its in-depth review of Customer Services. The conclusions of the Committee will follow.

15. INSPECTION OF SECURITY OF THE BENEFITS SERVICE BY THE BENEFIT FRAUD INSPECTORATE
[Wards Affected: All]

The purpose of the report at Appendix K is to

a. to inform members of the Benefit Fraud Inspectorate (BFI) Report presented to the Secretary of State following the inspection of the Security Function;

b. to inform members of the Improvement Plan to deliver the recommendations made in the report; and

c. to inform members of the improvements in performance in the Security function since December 2004 and the current position.

16. BUSINESS CONTINUITY PLANNING

To receive an oral update from the Head of Personnel and Central Services.

17. GAMBLING ACT 2005 – DRAFT GAMBLING POLICY
[Wards Affected: All]
The report at Appendix L sets out a draft Gambling Policy for Waverley. It is being considered by the Licensing and Regulatory Committee at its meeting on 4th July 2006 and any observations or comments it wishes to make will follow as a separate document.

18. NEW STREET LIGHTING IN SURREY
[Wards Affected: All]

The purpose of the report at Appendix M is to explain the new street lighting scheme proposed by the County Council for the whole of Surrey and to express concerns about the project.

Recommendation

It is recommended that Surrey County Council be advised that the PFI lighting scheme is not regarded as acceptable as it stands, for the reasons given in this report, and that a revision of the scheme is sought.

19. CLIMATE CHANGE
[Wards Affected: All]

The overwhelming view of the scientific community is that climate change is a reality – it is already occurring and will continue to occur into the future. The costs to society, the economy and the environment, locally and globally, could be enormous. The UK Government is now encouraging all local authorities to sign the ‘Nottingham Declaration on Climate Change’ to publicly show their commitment to addressing climate change. A Climate Change Action Plan is also attached to the report at Appendix N, which shows how Waverley is and will be meeting the challenge of climate change.

Recommendation

20. ADOPTION OF STATEMENT OF COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
[Wards Affected: All]

The purpose of the report at Appendix O is to present the Statement of Community Involvement for adoption by the Council, as part of the Local Development Framework.



Recommendation

It is recommended to the Council that the Statement of Community Involvement be formally adopted.

21. REPORT OF MODERNISING PLANNING SIG

To receive the report of the meeting of the Modernising Planning SIG held on 3rd July 2006, To Follow - Appendix P.

22. PLANNING PROJECTS AND USE OF PLANNING DELIVERY CAPITAL GRANT 2006/2007
[Wards Affected: All]

The report at Appendix Q explains two projects that could be brought forward with the use of the capital element of the Planning Delivery Grant awarded for 2006/2007.

The projects are

a) A Visioning Workshop for Farnham to support the Town Councils' Urban Safety Management Initiative and future planning policy work on the Council's own Local Development Framework. b) Surveys of urban areas that might be under threat from tree loss with a view to protecting such important character through the creation of new Tree Protection Orders. Authority is sought from the Executive to commit funding to these projects from the capital element of the 2006/7 Planning Delivery Grant.

Recommendation

It is recommended that

23. REPORT OF THE WASTE SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP

To receive the report of the Waste Special Interest Group which met on 26th June 2006, attached as Appendix R.

24. EASEMENT OF VEHICULAR ACCESS TO HOMEFIELD, THE COMMON, CRANLEIGH
[Ward Affected: Cranleigh West]

The report at Appendix S seeks authorisation for the grant of an easement of vehicular access and services, if required, to a proposed new house to be constructed in the rear garden of Homefield, The Common, Cranleigh.


Recommendation

It is recommended that a deed of easement be granted on terms and conditions as set out in the Exempt Annexe to the report, other terms and conditions to be negotiated by the Property and Development Manager.

25. RIGHT TO BUY CAPITAL RECEIPTS
[Wards Affected: All]
The report of the meeting of the Housing SIG, which took place on 15th May 2006 and discussed the issue of Right to Buy Capital Receipts, is attached as Appendix T.

Recommendation

It is recommended to the Council that the existing policy for new Right-to-Buy capital receipts be modified, so that 100% of useable RTB capital receipts of up to 500,000 be applied to the HRA Capital Programme for meeting the Decent Homes Standard in future.

26. BRIGHTWELLS GOSTREY CENTRE

The report at Appendix U, which was considered by the Community Overview and Scrutiny Committee at its meeting on 19th June 2006, provides an update and advises on the proposals for the centre as part of the East Street regeneration programme.

Recommendation

It is recommended to the Executive that it:-

1. takes the initiative to provide a new community centre for Farnham;

2. a new community centre be provided within the East Street re-development site;

3. the Brightwells Gostrey Centre remain in its current premises until a new centre is provided; and

4. the Council works in partnership with the Brightwells Gostrey Centre Committee to make the new community centre a reality.

27. REVIEW OF CITIZENS ADVICE BUREAUX – UPDATE ON THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A WAVERLEY DISTRICT MODEL CAB SERVICE
[Wards Affected: All]

The report at Appendix V, which was considered by the Community Overview and Scrutiny Committee at its meeting on 19th June 2006, provides an update on the resultant development of the new district based CAB service for Waverley.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the report be noted and that the introduction of the new Waverley wide CAB service, Waverley Citizens' Advice, be welcomed and that the national body, Citizens' Advice, be thanked for their work and support in helping create the new organisation.


28. CHOICE BASED LETTINGS – ALLOCATION POLICY

The report at Appendix W was considered by the Community Overview and Scrutiny Committee and Member Tenants’ Special Interest Group at their June meetings, and relates to the prioritisation of housing applications and the allocation of Council and Housing association properties in the borough.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the draft Allocation Policy (Scheme) be adopted.

29. ARMS LENGTH MANAGEMENT ORGANISATION – ROUND 6 PROGRAMME

The report at Appendix X was considered at the meeting of the Housing SIG, which took place on 23rd June 2006 and outlines the opportunity for the Council to make a bid to set-up an Arms Length Management Organisation (ALMO) to manage it homes and secure additional funding in order to meet the Government’s Decent Homes Standard.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the Executive consider the financial implications of making a bid for ALMO funding and recommend accordingly to Council.

30. APPOINTMENTS TO SURREY COUNTY COUNCIL LOCAL COMMITTEE TASK GROUPS 2006/2007

The County Council has requested that Waverley nominates to a number of Task/Sub-Groups of the Waverley Local Committee as follows. The Group Leaders have been consulted and nominations are awaited at the time of writing.

Farnham Transportation Task Group

Three nominations required (from Farnham).

Godalming, Milford and Witley Transportation Task Group

Two nominations required.

Haslemere and Western Villages Transportation Task Group

Two nominations required.

Cranleigh and Eastern Villages Transportation Task Group

Two nominations required.

Background Papers

Correspondence from Surrey County Council received 27th June 2006.

31. ACTION TAKEN SINCE LAST MEETING

To note any actions taken by the Head of Paid Service, after the appropriate member consultation, since the last meeting. The Register of Decisions will be laid on the table half an hour before the meeting.

32. EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

To consider the following recommendation on the motion of the Chairman:-

Recommendation

That pursuant to Procedure Rule 20 and in accordance with Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded during the meeting during consideration of the following item(s) on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the public were present during the item(s) there would be disclosure to them of exempt information (as defined by Section 100I of the Act) of the description specified in the appropriate paragraphs of the revised Part I of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972 (to be identified at the meeting).

33. INTERIM REVIEW OF HOUSING SERVICES

To consider the report at (Exempt) Appendix Y – To Follow.

34. ANY OTHER MATTERS TO BE CONSIDERED IN EXEMPT

To consider matters, if any, relating to aspects of any reports on the agenda which, it is felt, may need to be considered in exempt session.

For further information or assistance, please telephone Robin Pellow, Head
of Committee and Member Services, on extension 3222 or 01483 523222.

comms/executive/2006-07/054