As a start, the Community Strategy focuses on actions that can achieve significant results in three years. The Local Strategic Partnership has identified special projects within some of the main themes and is working to develop special projects for the other themes. The special projects so far are:
· Improving quality of life in areas of inequality of access (Theme: Social Inclusion and Policing and Community Safety).
· Tackling anti-social behaviour (Theme: Community Safety).
· Helping to sustain long term benefits for the rural economy in a major rural development site (The Local Economy).
Long-term vision: in 10-15 years Waverley will be a place where:
· There is affordable housing for those who need it
· People can get around easily with or without a car
· People live in a clean, tidy and attractive environment
· People feel safe
· People feel healthy (and happy)
· There are things to do
· People feel involved
· People are able to live independently
This Disability Equality Scheme, developed as it will be, through the active engagement of disabled people in our community, will be a key be a key element in ensuring that the long-term vision is achieved. Certainly, we aim to improve the way services are delivered, and people are employed, for the benefit of all.
1.1 Taking forward disability issues within the Council