Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee held on 15/01/2008
Draft Air Quality Action Plan
Waverley Borough Council
Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee
15 January 2008
WAVERLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL DRAFT AIR QUALITY ACTION PLAN
[Portfolio Holder: Cllr John Sandy]
[Wards Affected: All, particularly Farnham, Godalming, Hindhead]
Summary and purpose:
In 2005 Waverley declared three Air Quality Management Areas (AQMAs) in Hindhead, Godalming and Farnham as a result of emissions of Nitrogen Dioxide exceeding the national permitted standards. Following declaration of the AQMAs Waverley is required to produce an Air Quality Action Plan outlining how it is addressing the issues that led to the declaration of the Air Quality Management Areas. The DRAFT Action Plan is attached as an Annexe.
The air quality breaches that led to the declaration of the Air Quality Management Areas are due to pollutants found in vehicle exhaust emissions. Many of the proposals in the Draft Air Quality Action Plan will help reduce the impact of vehicle emissions on the environment, and will help meet climate change goals.
Social / community implications:
Poor air quality has an impact on people’s health. The draft Action Plan details measures that will have a positive impact on improving air quality and people’s health. Many of the proposed measures will help address congestion, particularly in the three Air Quality Management Areas.
As part of it role in managing air quality Waverley will continue to keep the public informed about air quality in Waverley by providing relevant and up-to-date information on the Web.
Resource and legal implications:
Production of the Air Quality Action Plan is a statutory requirement by the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. Many of the proposals outlined the Action Plan involve close co-operation with Surrey County Council, in particular with relation to traffic management projects.
1. The Draft Air Quality Action Plan for Waverley is attached as an Annexe. This document outlines details of a range of projects that can have a role in improving air quality under the following headings:
Moving the pollution away from exposed individuals
Optimising traffic flow
Use of cleaner vehicles
Behaviour change measures
Developing complementary policies and strategies
2. The Draft Action Plan outlines schemes and projects that are being undertaken by Waverley and by partners including Surrey County Council and the Highways Agency. It also outlines details of proposed projects and schemes that have not yet been launched.
3. A full consultation with the general public, stakeholders and partners will be launched in early 2008 and will run until the end of February. This consultation will be carried out through contact with parties who have expressed an interest in air quality, presentations and workshops where appropriate.
4. A second draft of the Action Plan will be presented to the Overview and Scrutiny Committee before being presented to the Executive for final approval. Once approved work will begin on implementation of the measures outlined in the Air Quality Action Plan.
5. The completion and implementation of the Air Quality Action Plan will fulfil Waverley’s local air quality management obligations and help achieve an improvement in air quality that will result in a number of benefits to the local community.
That the committee notes and approves the content of the Draft Air Quality Action Plan and approves the consultation process outlined above.
There are no background papers (as defined by Section 100D(5) of the Local Government Act 1972) relating to this report.