28. The blanket performance target to determine 80% of all applications within 8 weeks is to be replaced by three new targets relating to the type and complexity of development::
· 60% of major commercial and industrial applications to be determined in 13 weeks;
· 65% of minor commercial and industrial applications to be determined in 8 weeks;
· 80% of all other applications to be determined in 8 weeks.
29. For larger planning applications, a project-based approach is recommended, with a delivery contract to ensure that the decision is delivered to a timetable agreed between the local authority and the developer. Business organisations would be prepared to waive the right of appeal against non-determination of an application if they knew when a decision would be made and were kept informed about its progress. The timetable would take into account the potential input of consultees, and any need to agree a planning obligation. Sanctions would be required if an application was not decided by the agreed date without good reason. In such an event, either party would be able to refer the application to the Planning Inspectorate for handling on a fast-track basis.