Waverley Borough Council Home Page Waverley Borough Council Home Page


Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document

Meeting of the Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee held on 14/11/2001
Minutes - 14.11.01




15
MINUTES of the MEETING of the ENVIRONMENT OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE held on 14th November 2001
(To be read in conjunction with the Agenda for the Meeting)
      *
Dr R A Thomas (Chairman)*Mrs J M Harris
      *
Mr M W Byham (Vice-Chairman)*Mrs P Hibbert
*Mr P Betlem*Mrs C J Howard
*Mr M J Blower*Mr P B Isherwood
*Mrs C Craig*Mr D G Kinsella
*Mr D H Darbishire*Mr J C S Mackie
*Mrs J E Dodd*Mrs A Mugford
      *
Mr V Duckett*Mr J M Savage

*Present
Also present: Mr R J Gates and Mrs J M Mansley

30. MINUTES

The Minutes of the Meeting held on 11th September 2001 were confirmed and signed.

31. DISCLOSURE OF PECUNIARY AND OTHER INTERESTS (Agenda Item 3)

The following disclosures of interest were made:-
As the members who declared interests were Waverley appointed representatives on the respective bodies, with the exception of Farnham Castle, they were able to remain in the meeting and speak on the items.

* In the case of Farnham Castle, the Chairman vacated the chair for discussion of this application and withdrew from the meeting.

32. FOUR MONTH ROLLING PROGRAMME (Agenda Item 4, Appendix A)

RESOLVED that the Executive Four Month Rolling Programme of key decisions be received and noted, and that in future new items and significant changes would be shown in bold type.

33. COMMITTEE WORK PROGRAMME (Agenda Item 5, Appendix B)

The Committee noted the addition of Abandoned Vehicles to the Work Programme.

RESOLVED that the work programme be agreed as submitted.

34. GODALMING LEISURE NEEDS STUDY – IMPLEMENTATION ISSUES (Agenda Item 6, Appendix C)

The Committee received a presentation at the meeting from Parklife Ltd, consultants who had been appointed by Waverley to prepare a draft Masterplan for Broadwater Park to help address leisure needs in Godalming. The implications of the proposals for the future of the park and those organisations who have an interest in the proposals were detailed in a report.

Members identified the following comments as part of the consultation process, which would be passed to the Godalming Leisure Needs Special Interest Group:-

1. Safety concerns were raised about whether the playgrounds for young and older children should be placed next to each other, or apart;

2. The importance of including the playing fields as part of the ‘green’ environment surrounding Broadwater Park was identified, and the development constraints of the Park being situated within the Green Belt were recognised;

3. Regarding the maintenance and management analysis, members were keen to ensure that any matters which could be addressed and implemented immediately or in the short term were considered, such as dogs being kept on leads;

4. Concern was expressed about the individual leases in Broadwater Park;

5. With regard to current planning applications being made on the site, members wished for them to be considered in a coherent manner alongside the Masterplan and that they could be used for encouraging immediate development on the site;

6. Members were keen that the provision of swimming pools at John Stanley Jeffries reflected the extent of use by local schools.


35. BEST VALUE ACTION PLAN PROGRESS REPORT – DEVELOPMENT CONTROL (Agenda Item 7, Appendix D)

The Committee considered a report explaining the progress made against the actions and initiatives set out in the Best Value Action Plans for the Planning Policy and Development Control Services. The Development Control and Policy Manager gave a detailed presentation on the proposed way forward.

The Committee noted that a Planning Services Special Interest Group (SIG) had been established at the Executive Committee meeting on 13th November 2001 and that a member workshop would take place on 27th November 2001. It was identified that the first meeting of the SIG would look at the mechanisms for involving officers and members in the improvement process. With regard to the member workshop, members recognised the issue of delegation as one to be considered early.

RESOLVED that

1. progress on the Best Value Action Plan be noted; and

2. members of the Committee be notified of the arrangements for the first meeting of the Special Interest Group.

36. BOURNE CHILDREN AND YOUTH INITIATIVE (Agenda Item 11)

The Committee watched the ‘Friday Nights’ part of a video produced by the Bourne Initiative Project and this was followed by a presentation by Mary Wethey about the youth provision in Farnham and the new Surrey County Council Scheme entitled ‘Connexions’.

37. BEST VALUE PERFORMANCE INDICATORS AND TARGETS (Agenda Item 8, Appendix E)

The Committee considered a report giving details of the statutory and local performance indicators which come within its remit.

RESOLVED that the Executive Committee be advised that the suggested targets for Environment, Leisure and Planning Services in 2002/2003, as outlined in the report, be approved.

38. DRAFT REVENUE ESTIMATES 2002/2003 (Agenda Item 9, Appendix F)

The Committee received a report on the draft Revenue Estimates for the services within its remit and the officers responded to questions and observations from members. The Committee noted that any comments it wished to make would be reported to the Executive Committee on 4th December 2001 when initial consideration was to be given to the draft budget for 2002/2003.

In particular, officers clarified that the Local Agenda 21 budget was reduced because of the removal of corporate costs. Members queried the allocation of funds to Cranleigh Arts Centre and Museums and were reminded that these were now being dealt with under the Sponsored Organisations Scheme.

RESOLVED that the report be received and that the Executive Committee be informed that there are no specific issues it wishes to draw to the Executive’s attention.

39. DRAFT CAPITAL PROGRAMME 2002/2003 (Agenda Item 10, Appendix G)

The Committee received a report on proposals for the draft 2002/2003 Capital Programme and the revised 2001/2002 Capital Programme in respect of the services within its remit.

Members recognised the significant contribution made by Partnership Projects and requested clarification about the Farnham Maltings.

RESOLVED that the report be received and that the Executive Committee be advised that

1. this Committee welcomed the inclusion of the Farnham Maltings on the schedule and hoped that the latest request would receive due attention at the appropriate time; and

2. they should be conscious of the value/cost of the allocation to Risk Management of Trees in the Borough.

40. FINISHING TIME OF MEETING

RESOLVED in accordance with Standing Order 37(3), to agree to continue the meeting until the Committee has concluded its consideration of all of the items on the agenda.

41. PROCUREMENT STRATEGY (Agenda Item 12, Appendix H)

The Committee was advised in the report on this matter that local authorities are required to develop a formal Procurement Strategy as part of the Best Value Process. The framework for the strategy accompanied the report. Members were invited to send any specific comments they had on the strategy individually to the Audit Manager.

RESOLVED that the general principles of a comprehensive Procurement Strategy for Waverley and the suggested framework contained in Annexe 1 to the agenda report be supported and that the Executive Committee be so informed.

42. SURREY COUNTY COUNCIL REVIEW OF LOCAL HIGHWAY SERVICES (Agenda Item 13, Appendix I)

The Committee received a report updating members on the current position of the proposals by Surrey County Council and inviting them to submit observations to the Executive on some general principles relating to partnership work with the County Council on highways and transportation issues.

RESOLVED that

1. the officer comments endorsed that there was no immediate wish to devolve any budget to the Area Committees at this stage but that this could be reviewed again in the future and that Waverley representation on a successor to the current Waverley PAT regime should continue;

2. the Committee endorse those comments contained within the letter from the Chief Executive to Surrey County Council; and

3. the observations, as set out in the agenda report, be submitted to the Executive Committee.

43. A3 THURSLEY JUNCTION SLIP ROADS AND SIDE ROADS ORDERS (Agenda Item 14, Appendix J)

Along with the agenda report, the Committee received a copy of the comments made on this item by the Executive Committee at its meeting on 13th November 2001 and which substituted paragraphs 18 and 19 as comments to be passed to the Highways Agency.

RESOLVED that the report be noted with no additional comments or amendments made, and that the officer comments set out at paragraphs 18 and 19 of the agenda report, as amended, be forwarded to the Highways Agency.

[Mr M W Byham was in the chair for the next item]

44. MATCHED-FUNDING PROVISION – ROUND 5 APPLICATIONS 2002/2003 (Agenda Item 15, Appendix K)

The Committee considered applications which were Environment and Leisure Schemes for Matched-Funding Provision received under the Round Five allocation in 2002/2003, including the Community Buildings Grant Scheme for 2002/2003.

RESOLVED that the Executive Committee be advised that there were no issues the Committee wished to draw to its attention prior to its consideration of the applications on 4th December 2001.

[N.B. Dr R A Thomas declared a non-pecuniary interest in the New Ashgate Gallery and Farnham Castle, and left the meeting during consideration of the later application].

[Dr R A Thomas resumed as Chairman of the meeting.]

45. SPONSORED ORGANISATION SCHEME – APPLICATIONS FOR 2002/2003 (Agenda Item 16, Appendix L)

The Committee considered applications from organisations that had applied to join the Sponsored Organisation Scheme, and funding requests from organisations already admitted to the scheme.

Members wished to pass the following comments to the Executive Committee:-

1. the budget figure overall was considered to be a sum that caused most of the Committee concern; and

2. arts, leisure and museums seemed to have been disproportionately penalised and could have been given greater consideration given their contribution to the community and in recognition of the voluntary effort involved.


RESOLVED that

1. the attention of the Executive Committee be drawn to the following applicants in particular when considering all applications on 4th December 2001:-

(a) Rural Life Centre
(b) Haslemere Educational Museum
(c) Cranleigh Arts Centre
(d) Blackwater Valley Countryside Service
(e) Godalming Museum Trust
(f) Surrey BTCV

and to note that other grants featured in the list for Environmental Schemes should not be reduced to compensate for any changes made to the recommended grants for organisations (a) to (f) above.

The meeting concluded at 10.35 p.m.





Chairman

comms/O&S3/2001-02/036 23161