Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee held on 23/09/2002
Supplementary Planning Guidance DRAFT
WAVERLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL
ENVIRONMENT OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE –23RD SEPTEMBER 2002
DRAFT SUPPLEMENTARY PLANNING GUIDANCE : DENSITY AND SIZE
OF DWELLINGS (POLICY H4 OF THE WAVERLEY LOCAL PLAN 2002)
[Wards Affected: All Wards]
Summary and Purpose
The purpose of this report is to gain authorisation for Draft Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) to go out to public consultation. The Draft SPG amplifies Policy H4 of the Waverley Local Plan 2002. This policy ensures that new residential development makes efficient use of land, and that a predominance of small dwellings is provided.
The SPG will assist the correct and consistent application of Policy H4 with subsequent environmental and social benefits. The costs of publishing and consultation can be covered by existing budgets.
1. The Council adopted the Waverley Borough Local Plan on 23rd April 2002. Policy H4 of the Plan requires new residential development to make efficient use of land by meeting density requirements and providing predominantly two and three bedroom dwellings.
2. Waverley has sought smaller dwellings and efficient use of land for many years, particularly on larger sites. Revised Planning Policy Guidance Note 3 (Housing) and recent Housing Needs Surveys for the Borough led to a stronger, more specific policy in the Local Plan. It now applies not only to large sites, but also to fairly small sites of “more than three dwellings”.
The need for Draft Supplementary Planning Guidance
3. The objectives of the policy are sound, but a number of issues, some quite complex, have arisen in its implementation. These include:-
- applying the “more than three units” threshold before the policy applies;
- appropriate densities for different sites, especially in areas of low-density development;
- influencing the sizes of dwellings using “numbers of bedrooms”.
4. There is a need for Supplementary Planning Guidance to:-
- inform Members, officers, applicants and the public how Policy H4 will be applied; and
- assist the Council in providing consistent advice and decisions.
5. Draft Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) is attached. PPG12 (Development Plans) states that “The Secretary of State will give substantial weight in making decisions on matters that come before him to SPG which derives out of and is consistent with the development plan, and has been prepared in the proper manner. SPG should be prepared in consultation with the general public, businesses and other interested parties and their views should be taken into account before it is finalised.”
Proposed timetable to adoption
6. It is proposed that the draft SPG is published for a six-week consultation period during October and November 2002. It is anticipated that Council will adopt the SPG on the 11th February 2003 following consideration of all representations by Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee on 27th January 2003 and the Executive on 4th February 2003.
7. The costs of publishing and sending out the document can be covered by existing budgets. There are no “Human Rights”, “Community Safety” or “Opportunities for All” implications arising from this report.
That the Committee:-
(i) considers and makes amendments as necessary to the Draft Supplementary Planning Guidance on Policy H4 of the Waverley Local Plan 2002 (Density and Size of Dwellings); and
(ii) forwards the draft SPG to the Executive with a view to publishing it as a basis for public consultation.
There are no background papers (as defined by Section 100D(5) of the Local Government Act 1972) relating to this report.