Waverley Borough Council Home Page Waverley Borough Council Home Page


Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document

Meeting of the Executive held on 02/10/2007
Agenda




Fax No: 01483 523475
Your ref:
Our ref:
When calling please ask for: Emma McQuillan
Direct line: 01483 523351
E-mail: emcquillan@waverley.gov.uk
Date: 21st September 2007



To: All Members of the EXECUTIVE
(Agenda pages to other
Members for Information)
Membership of the Executive
      Cllr R J Gates (Chairman)
Cllr D J Munro
      Cllr Mrs P M Frost (Vice-Chairman)
Cllr S N Reynolds
Cllr M H W BandCllr J R Sandy
Cllr B A EllisCllr R J Steel
      Cllr D C Inman
Cllr A E B Taylor-Smith


Dear Sir/Madam

A Meeting of the EXECUTIVE will be held as follows:-

Yours faithfully

MARY ORTON

Chief Executive

*This meeting will be webcast and can be viewed by visiting http://www.waverley.ukcouncil.net/

*The informal question time session is now being dealt with as the first item before the formal agenda
NOTE FOR MEMBERS

Contact Officers are shown at the end of each report and members are welcome to raise questions, make observations etc. in advance of the meeting with the appropriate officer.
AGENDA

1. INFORMAL PUBLIC QUESTION TIME

The Chairman to receive any informal questions from members of the public (for a maximum of 15 minutes).

2. MINUTES

To confirm the Minutes of the Meeting held on 4th September 2007 (to be laid on the table half-an-hour before the meeting).

3. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To advise the Executive of any apologies for absence.

4. DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS

To receive from members, declarations of personal and prejudicial interests in relation to any items included on the agenda for this meeting, in accordance with the Waverley Code of Local Government Conduct.

5. QUESTIONS

"A planning application, WA/2007/1967, for the development of riverside has been submitted by CNS on behalf of Waverley. The sole reason for this application is to act as an enabling development for the whole East Street development. Will WBC give the community a positive assurance that the riverside development will be included in the East Street development environmental impact assessment?"

ii. From Mr J Hyman of Farnham

“Council Leader. Will you please affirm the previous Administration's assurances (given by Mayor Duckett three years ago) by giving Farnham your word that no development, demolition or enabling works will be allowed until completion of both the ex-Odeon Cinema site and the Marlborough Head land assembly, and will you please honour the election promise to oppose any further extension to the contractual deadline? Thank you.”

6. EXECUTIVE FOUR-MONTH ROLLING PROGRAMME

To adopt the four-month rolling programme of key decisions for Waverley Borough Council, attached at Appendix A - for all Members of the Council. [Those items which can now be removed from the Rolling Programme are identified in struck through text, and any items that have been added are identified in bold text.]


Recommendation

It is recommended that the four-month rolling programme be adopted subject to agreement of the amendments highlighted in Appendix A.

7. EAST STREET, FARNHAM
[Wards Affected: All Farnham Wards]

To receive an oral update from the Leader of the Council and Chief Executive, to include initial feedback on the consultation responses received to date.

A Special Executive meeting has been arranged and will take place on Monday 8th October 2007 to discuss landowner sanction for East Street. This will be preceded by two Technical Briefings, supported by consultants from Cluttons, to be held at 4.00 p.m. and repeated at 6.30 p.m., to which all members of the Council will be invited.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the update report be noted.

8. SPONSORED ORGANISATION SCHEME 2008/09 - GRANT ELIGIBILITY, CRITERIA AND TIMETABLE
[Wards Affected: All]
It is recommended that:

9. BUILDING NEW AFFORDABLE HOMES IN WAVERLEY
[Wards Affected: All]

The report at Appendix C responds to the Government’s proposal in the Housing Green Paper to allow council’s to create a new Body or Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) or Local Housing Company to build affordable homes outside of the Housing Revenue Account constraints. Such a new Body would have majority or sole ownership by the Council to provide additional affordable homes in the Borough. It proposes to create a Housing Special Interest Group to examine detailed financial and legal considerations.

Recommendation

It is recommended that

2. a Housing SIG be created to consider the legal and financial implications of creating a new SPV to develop new affordable homes, with draft terms of reference at Annexe 2 to the report; and

3. the action of Officers to seek proposals from specialist legal and financial advisors on the creation of a new SPV for Waverley utilising the Affordable Housing Budget provision of 109,000, be endorsed.

10. NATIONAL NON-DOMESTIC RATES - DISCRETIONARY RATE RELIEF POLICY
[Wards Affected: N/A]

The report at Appendix D is for the Council to determine Waverley’s policy for awarding discretionary rate relief for the next four financial years 2008/09 to 20011/12.

Recommendation

11. NATIONAL NON-DOMESTIC RATES - APPLICATION FOR RATE RELIEF
[Wards Affected: N/A]
Recommendation

12. CONCESSIONARY FARES - INTRODUCTION OF NATIONAL SCHEME
[Wards Affected: All]

13. SURREY COLLABORATION PROJECT SECTION 106 AGREEMENTS CODE OF PRACTICE
[Wards Affected: All]

The Code of Practice at Appendix G was prepared as part of the Collaboration Project amongst the 11 Surrey Districts and Surrey County Council. Its purpose is to set out common practice and procedures for capturing infrastructure improvements across the Surrey districts in accordance with adopted policies and recommended best practice. It is suggested that Districts will use it as an interim administrative measure and eventually incorporate the work into a Supplementary Planning Document.

The principal innovation is the codifying of certain infrastructure contributions for smaller ‘windfall’ schemes, e.g. up to 14 dwellings. Previously, these have escaped any charges in Surrey, resulting in a significant shortfall in potential contributions to public services.

Members gave approval in April 2007 for the implementation of the Code from July 1st, subject to any minor changes being made by the Collaboration Group. However, when the Code was discussed at a Waverley Planning Agents Forum in May, those agents attending were of the view that there had not been adequate consultation by the Collaboration Group. A targeted consultation exercise of 38 nominated agents across the County had taken place in June and October 2006; however, the consensus was that this had not been wide enough. At the time it was felt that implementation should be delayed in Waverley until 1st November. However, it may be advisable to move the implementation date to 1st April 2008.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the changes to the progress report be noted, and that Members re-affirm their earlier support for implementation of the Code, with a target date of 1st April 2008.

14. COMMUNICATIONS REVIEW

The purpose of the report at Appendix H is to update Members on the review of Communications.

Recommendation

The Executive is recommended to note the impact of the communications review on the residents of Waverley and to continue to keep communications under review in the future.


15. GYPSY AND TRAVELLER ACCOMMODATION
[Wards Affected: All]
That the Executive:

16. POLLING DISTRICT AND POLLING PLACE REVIEW
[Wards Affected: All]

The Executive, on 4th September 2007, agreed to authorise the Chief Executive to carry out a review of all polling districts and polling places as the Council is required to do under the Electoral Administration Act 2006.

The report at Appendix J gives the initial conclusions of that review, and the outcome of the consultation.

No major changes have been proposed but there are proposals for changes to polling stations in two wards, and investigations have been carried out where there have been problems identified with polling stations, but in some cases it has not still been possible to find a suitable alternative.

Recommendation

The Executive is asked to recommend to the Council that:

1. the only change to existing polling districts be to combine the two polling districts in Godalming Holloway Ward;

2. the polling places for the Godalming Holloway and Farnham Castle Wards be amended as set out in paragraph 11 above; and

3. the changes to polling places be implemented for all elections from 1st December 2007.

17. FINDINGS OF IN-DEPTH REVIEW OF WAVERLEY’S LOCAL STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP
[Wards Affected: All]
The Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee agreed at a meeting in the previous Council year to undertake an in-depth review of Waverley’s Local Strategic Partnership. The purpose of the report at Appendix K is to provide an update on the progress of this review and, having agreed that it would be appropriate to conclude the review at this stage, present the conclusions of the Committee to the Executive for consideration.

Recommendation
1. the conclusions set out in the report, following the Committee’s in-depth review of Waverley’s Local Strategic Partnership be endorsed; and 2. a briefing note be prepared for all Members of the Council explaining what the Local Strategic Partnership is, how it works and what it can be used for.

18. COMPLAINTS HANDLING IN WAVERLEY IN 2006/2007
[Wards Affected: All]
Recommendation

19. OMBUDSMAN INVESTIGATION INTO COMPLAINTS 2006/2007
[Wards Affected: All]

It is recommended that

2. the report be noted. 20. PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT REPORT, QUARTER 1 (APRIL-JUNE) 2007/08
[Wards Affected: All]

Waverley’s Performance Management Framework (PMF) contains a host of statutory (BVPI) and locally defined (LPI) indicators that assist Members and officers in identifying current improvement priorities.

The indicators in Waverley’s PMF are reviewed quarterly by the Executive. The report at Appendix N details the observations of the three Overview and Scrutiny Committees on performance against Waverley’s performance indicators during the first three-month period of 2007/08. The Executive is asked to note the observations.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the Executive

1. gives consideration to the recommendations of the O&S Committees in paragraphs 4 and 8 of this report, determines its preferred sub-committee structure for the handling of performance information via the Scrutiny function, and refers its conclusions back to the O&S Committees;

2. sanctions work between officers and the O&S Committees to develop a draft list of key indicators (routinely reported via the committee system), and to recommend a process for exception reporting on other indicators; and

3. notes the observations on the indicators of the Corporate O and S Committee contained in paragraphs 11-15 of the report.

21. TRANSFER OF LAND AT BARDSLEY DRIVE, FARNHAM
[Wards Affected: Farnham Shortheath and Boundstone]

It is recommended that

1. the proposal to provide additional affordable homes in Farnham be supported;

2. the disposal of land at Bardsley Drive, Farnham, to Ability Housing Association be approved, on terms to be negotiated by the Property and Development Manager to enable the affordable housing scheme for rent to progress; and

3. the capital receipt from the sale of the land be applied towards achieving the Decent Homes Standard in the Council’s remaining housing stock.

22. DISPOSAL OF A PROPERTY IN BRAMLEY
[Wards Affected: Bramley]
Recommendation

It is recommended that the Executive approves:

1. the disposal of the dwelling house owned by the Council at Station Road, Bramley on the open market on terms to be negotiated by the Council’s Property and Development Manager;

2. that the capital receipt from the sale of this property be applied to contribute toward achieving the Decent Homes Standard in the remaining Council housing stock. 23. ROYAL BRITISH LEGION SCHEME, DUNSFOLD
[Wards Affected: Dunsfold]
Recommendation
24. REVISIONS TO FINANCIAL REGULATIONS AND CONTRACT PROCEDURE RULES
[Wards Affected: All]

There have been regular, at least annual, amendments to both Financial Regulations and Contract Procedure Rules since they were last fully amended in April 2003. The most recent changes came into effect in April 2007. Since then there have been developments which require further amendment, and these are contained in the annexes to this report. The report at Appendix R recommends that the changes come into effect from 1st November 2007.

Recommendation

It is recommended that
3. all changes come into effect from 1st November 2007.

25. DRAFT CHIDDINGFOLD CONSERVATION AREA APPRAISAL
[Wards Affected: Chiddingfold]
Recommendation

1. approves the Chiddingfold Conservation Area Appraisal;

2. approves the four conservation area extensions as shown in the report.

26. SURREY HILLS AREA OF OUTSTANDING NATURAL BEAUTY – GOVERNANCE REVIEW CONSULTATION
[Wards Affected: All except Urban Areas, Dunsfold and Alfold]

27. ACTION TAKEN SINCE LAST MEETING

To note any decisions taken by the Chief Executive after consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman since the last meeting. The Register of Decisions will be laid on the table half an hour before the meeting.

28. EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

That, pursuant to Procedure Rule 20, and in accordance with Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following item on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the public were present during this item there would be disclosure to them of exempt information (as defined by Section 100I of the Act) of the description specified in the appropriate paragraph(s) of the revised Part I of Schedule 12A to the Act (to be identified at the meeting).

29. STAFFING ISSUE

To consider the report at (Exempt) Appendix U.

30. ANY OTHER ISSUES TO BE CONSIDERED IN EXEMPT SESSION

To consider matters (if any) relating to aspects of any reports on this agenda which, it is felt, may need to be considered in Exempt session.



For further information or assistance, please telephone Robin Pellow, Head
of Committee and Member Services, on extension 3222 or 01483 523222.

Comms/executive/2007-08/079