Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Executive held on 27/06/2006
WAVERLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE EXECUTIVE – 27TH JUNE 2006
SUBMITTED TO THE COUNCIL MEETING – 27TH JUNE 2006
(To be read in conjunction with the Agenda for the Meeting)
Miss G B W Ferguson (Chairman)
Mr C H Mansell
Mrs C E Savage (Vice-Chairman)
Mr K T Reed
Mr S D Edge
Mr J E Robini
Mr B Grainger-Jones
Mr V K Scrivens
Mr P Haveron
(Agenda Item 1)
The Minutes of the Meeting of the Executive held on 13th June 2006 were confirmed and signed.
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
(Agenda Item 2)
Apologies for absence were received from Mr J E Robini.
DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST
(Agenda Item 3)
There were no interests raised under this heading.
PART I - RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE COUNCIL
[Members are asked to refer to the detailed reports circulated to all Members of the Council with the Executive agenda for the meeting held earlier in the evening on 27th June 2006].
STATEMENT OF ACCOUNTS 2005/2006
(Agenda Item 8; Appendix D)
53.1 The Executive received the draft Statement of Accounts for 2005/2006 and
19. the draft Statement of Accounts for the financial year ended 31st March 2006 be approved, subject to
a. the addition of the Local Authority Business Growth Incentives (LABGI) Grant of £435,000 to the Consolidated Revenue Account (shown at p166 of the Executive report) and associated figures in the account being amended accordingly; and
b. the addition of an explanatory note to pages 206 and 207 of the report relating to Members Allowances to clarify the telephone and internet payments made to members during the transfer to a common practice for internet provision and travelling.
There are no background papers (as defined by Section 100D(5) of the Local Government Act 1972) relating to this report.
PARTS II AND III - MATTERS OF REPORT
The background papers relating to the following items in Parts II and III are as specified in the agenda for the meeting of the Executive.
Part II – Matters Reported in Detail for the Information of the Council
There were no matters falling within this category.
Part III – Brief Summaries of Other Matters Dealt With
[Nick Ward, the District Auditor and Relationship Manager, and Bobby Grant, the Audit Manager, were present at the meeting and introduced the reports at Appendices A and B].
ANNUAL AUDIT LETTER 2004/2005
(Agenda Item 5; Appendix A)
RESOLVED that the Audit Letter be noted and officers be requested to take action to address the points identified for improvement (where these have not already been actioned), subject to the following points on specific issues:
a. with regard to the Audit Committee point, the Executive notes the item elsewhere on this evening's agenda and will address the issue at that point in the agenda;
b. with regard to internal control, the Executive notes the actions already taken at its previous meeting regarding the Statement of Internal Control;
c. with regards to the Value for Money aspects of the Use of Resources assessment, the Executive requests that officers address the points made about the potential for better systematic use of cost data and in particular the comparisons with other comparable Councils; and
d. with regard to the suggestion of regular budget updates, the Executive confirms its existing plan to checkpoint the financial Strategy at its July meeting, taking into account the 2005/06 year end outcomes.
DISTRICT AUDITOR'S AUDIT AND INSPECTION PLAN 2006/2007
(Agenda Item 6; Appendix B)
1. the contents of the Audit and Inspection Plan be noted and accepted; and
2. further discussions take place with the District Auditor to identify ways in which the audit and inspection fees could be reduced.
INTRODUCTION OF AN AUDIT COMMITTEE OR EQUIVALENT
(Agenda Item 7; Appendix C)
RESOLVED that the Constitution SIG be asked to carry out the following work and report back to the Executive with a suggested work programme to its July meeting:-
1. to consider whether an Audit Committee is the best way of carrying out the functions of an Audit Committee or, as an alternative, whether some or all of the work could best be carried out, for example, by the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee;
2. to propose the Terms of Reference and make-up of the Audit Committee (and/or O and S acting as the Audit Committee), basing the Terms of Reference on the CIPFA model and addressing whether and how the Audit Committee (or alternative) should access any additional specialist support; and
3. to consider a schedule for the work programme and meetings, based around two scheduled meetings a year with additional ones if necessary.
CAPITAL AND REVENUE OUTTURN 2005/2006
(Agenda Item 9)
Annual Accounts 2005/2006: Overall Revenue Outturn
1. the outturn position for 2005/2006 be noted;
2. the revenue carry forwards of £43,310 on the General Fund from 2005/2006 to 2006/2007, as shown at Annexe 5 to the report, be approved;
3. officers be requested to ensure that the projected changes (p231 and p232) are used in the Financial Strategy Review in July and budget monitoring of 2006/07 departmental expenditure; and
4. officers be requested to check the processes for detail monitoring in areas where outturns were significantly different to forecasts during the last budget process, with the aim of correcting any weaknesses for the quarterly 2006/07 monitoring and the next budget cycle.
Annual Accounts 2005/2006: Capital Programme Outturn
1. the financing proposals for the 2005/2006 financial year, summarised in paragraph 10 of the report, be approved;
2. slippage totalling £1,078,528, as detailed in Annexe 1 of the report, from the 2005/2006 General Fund Capital Programme to the 2006/2007 General Fund Capital Programme be approved; and
3. slippage totalling £243,000, as detailed in Annexe 1 of the report, from the 2005/2006 to the 2006/2007 Social Housing Grant Capital Programme be approved.
WAVERLEY PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT PROCESS: 2005/2006 FULL YEAR PERFORMANCE INDICATOR OUTTURN AND BEST VALUE PERFORMANCE PLAN TARGETS
(Agenda Item 10; Appendix F)
1. the data pertaining to 2005/2006 performance outturn, and the comments of the Overview and Scrutiny Committees be noted; and
2. the Best Value Performance Plan targets be approved, as set out at Annexe 1 to the report, as updated to include the current outturn figures and suggested targets for BVPIs 79b and 86.
ACTION TAKEN SINCE LAST MEETING
(Agenda Item 11)
The Executive noted the action taken by the Head of Paid Service since its last meeting relating to resources to manage the East Street process.
The meeting commenced at 7.00 p.m. and concluded at 8.52 p.m.