Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Executive held on 28/10/2003
Policy for the Conduct of Investigations involving Covert Surveillance Techniques
WAVERLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL
POLICY FOR THE CONDUCT OF INVESTIGATIONS INVOLVING COVERT
1. It is the policy of Waverley Borough Council to conduct all investigations involving the use of covert surveillance techniques in accordance with the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.
2. To ensure that investigations are compliant with the requirements of the Human Rights Act 1998 and are fairly and lawfully conducted, covert surveillance techniques will be used only where they relate to a specific investigation.
3. Investigations involving covert surveillance techniques will not proceed until authorised by the relevant Chief Officer or an officer authorised by resolution of the Council dated 23rd July 2002.
4. The Council will comply with any Code of Practice issued by the Secretary of State current at the time of a specific and authorised investigation.
5. The Council will provide training for all staff who may conduct or be involved in covert surveillance operations, and all who may authorise such surveillance activity.