Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee held on 17/04/2007
When calling please ask for:
: 01483 523351
4th April 2007
To: All Members and Substitute
Members of the ENVIRONMENT AND LEISURE OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (Agenda Pages to other members for information)
Membership of Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee
Mr J R Sandy (Chairman)
Mrs L S R Hodgson
Mrs M V M Hunt (Vice-Chairman)
Mrs S R Jacobs
Mr M H W Band
Mrs D M James
Dr J F A Blowers
Mrs P N Mitchell
Mr M W Byham
Mr J M Savage
Mr M A Edgington
Mrs J A Slyfield
Mr R D Frost
Ms M Taylor
Mr P D Harmer
Mr A E B Taylor-Smith
Mrs P Hibbert
Mr W M Marshall
Mrs P Ellis
Mr V Duckett
Mr A Rayner
Mr B A Ellis
Mrs A E Mansell
Mr P B Isherwood
Mr B G Shelley
Mr J C S Mackie
Mr R C Terry
A meeting of ENVIRONMENT AND LEISURE OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE will be held as follows:-
DATE: TUESDAY, 17TH APRIL 2007
TIME: 7.00 P.M.
PLACE: COUNCIL CHAMBER, COUNCIL OFFICES, THE BURYS, GODALMING
The Agenda for the meeting is set out below.
Head of Committee and Member Services
NOTE FOR MEMBERS
Contact officers are shown at the end of each report and members are welcome to raise questions, make observations etc. in advance of the meeting with the appropriate officer.
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS
To receive apologies for absence and to report any substitutions.
DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS
To receive from Members declarations of personal and prejudicial interests in relation to any items included on the agenda for this meeting in accordance with the Waverley Code of Local Government Conduct.
The following item was considered by the Executive at its meeting on 27th March 2007. Four members, identified below, have since requested that they would like to scrutinise the following decision taken at that meeting:-
Mr M H W Band
Mr M W Byham
Mr P D Harmer
Mr J R Sandy.
REPORT OF THE WASTE MANAGEMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP
[Wards Affected: All]
is the report which was considered by the Executive on 27th March 2007.
The decision of the Executive was as follows:-
It was agreed that:
1. the static Saturday Green Waste Collection service in Haslemere and in Godalming is retained in the ensuing financial year at an estimated cost of £30,000 be met from the £100,000 budget;
2. officers be asked to investigate extending this static Saturday collection service to Farnham and to Cranleigh and to earmark £30,000 from the PEG’s grant for 2007/08;
3. the subscription for the kerbside green waste service be held at £40 per annum £20 for residents in receipt of statutory means tested benefits or for an additional two green bags) for the ensuing financial year, representing a subsidy of on average £7 per household;
4. the demonstrated recycling box lifting trolley be made available to residents on request at a cost equivalent to Waverley’s net cost plus any delivery costs, estimated at £11.75 plus delivery (50% reduction for residents in receipt of statutory means tested benefit) limited to one trolley per household;
5. officers be asked to investigate further the potential to increase the frequency of collections from the cardboard bring sites as well as the number of sites in the Borough and to report to the next meeting of the SIG. The SIG recommend that a sum of £80,000 be provisionally identified for this purpose, £70,000 from the balance of the £100,000 budget and £10,000 from the 2007/08 PEG budget;
6. officers further investigate, with partners, the implications and feasibility of introducing bio-diesel for refuse freighters, battery recycling and kitchen waste collection;
7. Waverley sends a letter of thanks on behalf of the SIG to Veolia staff for their hard work to ensure a smooth service following the recent fire which closed the Slyfield depot, and high winds which closed Albury landfill site last week. Their actions providing alternative tipping facilities enabled an uninterrupted service;
8. the review process be agreed, subject to interim recommendations being presented after six months, as a way of conducting the Climate Change element of the work of the SIG;
9. an opportunity be given for all Members of the Council to view ‘An Inconvenient Truth’; and
10. officers be asked to help Bramley Parish Council find alternative sources of funding for their proposed street lighting replacement project.
It is now for this Committee to review the decision taken and agree any observations. As a suggested framework, these observations could take one of the following broad forms:-
(a) to endorse the Executive's decision;
(b) to endorse the decision, but submit observations to the Executive on their original decision; or
(c) to propose an alternative course of action, which could be not to implement the original course of action.
[N.B. If (a) above applies, the matter will be reported to the Council meeting on 24th April 2007. If (b) or (c) apply, the matter will be forwarded to the next meeting of the Executive on 22nd May 2007.]
EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC
To consider the following recommendation on the motion of the Chairman:-
That, pursuant to Procedure Rule 20, and in accordance with Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following item on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the public were present during this item there would be disclosure to them of exempt information (as defined by Section 100I of the Act) of the description specified in the appropriate paragraph(s) of Part I of Schedule 12A to the Act (
to be identified, as necessary, at the meeting
ANY OTHER ISSUES TO BE CONSIDERED IN EXEMPT SESSION
To consider matters (if any) relating to aspects of any reports on this agenda which, it is felt, may need to be considered in Exempt session.
For further information or assistance, please telephone Emma McQuillan,
Democratic Services Manager on extension 3351 or 01483 523351