Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee held on 16/01/2007
Financial Strategy 2007/08 - 2009/10
Waverley Borough Council
ENVIRONMENT AND LEISURE OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE
16TH JANUARY 2007
FINANCIAL STRATEGY 2007/2008 – 2009/2010
DRAFT GENERAL FUND REVENUE ESTIMATES 2007/2008
[Wards Affected: ALL]
Summary and purpose:
This report updates the Committee on the latest position regarding the General Fund Budget. It contains proposals for reducing the Budget shortfall, which the Executive is due to consider on 9th January.
This Committee is asked to give its views on subsequent recommendations from the Executive. The Executive will give final consideration to the Budget on 6th February 2007, including the comments reported from the Overview and Scrutiny meetings and the Licensing Committee, before making recommendations to Council on 20th February 2007.
There are no direct environmental implications as a result of the recommendation of this report. However, the estimates do include services that do have very significant environmental benefits.
Social / community implications:
There are no direct social/community implications as a result of the recommendation of this report. However, the estimates do include services that do have very significant social/community benefits.
The Estimates contain budgets to enable the delivery of Waverley’s E-Government Strategy.
Resource and legal implications:
There are no direct legal implications as a result of the recommendation of this report. Resource implications are contained throughout the report.
1. The draft 2007/2008 General Fund Revenue Estimates were presented to the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee on 14th November 2006.
Members are requested to refer to the detailed Estimates contained at Annexes 1, 2, 3 and 4 to the Budget Item (Appendix Dii) for that meeting and to bring these papers to the meeting in January.
2. In order that information is available to the Committee as early as possible, this report is based on the suggestions made by the Chief Officer Group, as submitted for consideration by the Executive on 9th January. The Committee will be informed of the subsequent recommendations from the Executive on 9th and it may be necessary to circulate an updated report.
The Revenue Support Grant Settlement
3. Waverley’s provisional Revenue Support Grant Settlement for 2007/2008 was received at the end of November. The key figures were reported to the Executive on 5th December.
4. The details of the Settlement are:
As expected, the headline increase in Waverley’s Grant for 2007/08 is 2.7%
Waverley actually receives a cash increase of 2.6% being £146,000
Council Tax capping remains – The Government expects increases to be below 5%
5. The Management Team recommended to the Executive that Council Tax be increased by the likely capping limit of 5%. However, the Executive has indicated a desire to restrict the increase in Waverley’s element of Council Tax to the level of inflation.
6. The Budget position is that, after taking account of all known service variations, the provisional Revenue Support Grant Settlement, and the Executive’s preference for a council tax increase in line with inflation there is a shortfall in the region of £300,000. The Management Team has suggested measures that could be taken to eliminate this shortfall and thereby restrict the Council Tax increase to 3.9%, in line with the latest Retail Price Index.
7. Following the Executive of the 5th December, the Management Team commenced the process of examining the draft Budget for further possible reductions. The Budget Monitoring process to the end of November has also identified several ongoing savings and these are included in the list of potential reductions as shown at
. This annexe includes an appraisal of the impact of these reductions, which total approximately £273,000.
8. The Overview and Scrutiny and Licensing Committees will give further consideration to the Budget at their meetings in January. Comments made at these meetings will be reported to the next meeting of the Executive on 6th February 2007, which will agree final recommendations to Council on 20th February 2007.
It is recommended that the Committee give further consideration to the draft General Fund Estimates for the services within its remit, including the proposed Budget Reductions.
Provisional Local Government Finance Settlement 2007/08; Financial Strategy 2007/08 – 2009/10; Finance Seminar slides; draft Service Plans 2007/08; Community Strategy; Revenue Budget 200607