Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Executive held on 12/09/2005
MINUTES of the MEETING of the EXECUTIVE held on
12th September 2005 8.15 p.m.
(To be read in conjunction with the agenda for the meeting)
Miss G B W Ferguson (Chairman)
Mr C H Mansell
Mrs C E Savage (Vice-Chairman)
Mr K T Reed
Mr S D Edge
Mr J E Robini
Mr B Grainger-Jones
Mr V K Scrivens
Mr P Haveron
(Agenda Item 1)
The Minutes of the Meeting held on 6th September 2005 were confirmed and signed.
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
(Agenda Item 2)
An apology for absence was received from Mr C H Mansell.
DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS
(Agenda Item 3)
There were no interests raised under this heading.
(Agenda Item 4)
The question received from Mr J Hyman and published on the agenda was postponed and presented at the Council meeting which followed on immediately from the Executive.
PROPOSED TRANSFER OF THE COUNCIL'S HOUSING STOCK TO WEYFOLD COMMUNITY HOMES – THE OFFER DOCUMENT
(Agenda Item 5)
The observations from the Community Overview and Scrutiny Committee, which had met earlier in the evening, were circulated to the Executive.
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND to the COUNCIL that
1. the progress of the consultation process with tenants be noted;
2. the following two paragraphs relating to charitable status of Weyfold Communty Homes, be included in the Offer Document:-
a. as an insertion at Section A (page 18)
"The Council believes that there are significant benefits to all parties in Weyfold adopting charitable status and will ask Weyfold to pursue this course of action before proceeding with the transfer"; and
b. as an amendment to page 72, heading Charitable Status
Second para. Replace first sentence as follows:-
"Weyfold Community Homes has agreed in principle to adopt charitable status…."
Add final sentence:-
"Your views are sought on this issue in particular";
3. the letter accompanying the Offer Document to be signed by the Leader of the Council only and the final paragraph be amended to read as follows:-
"The Council has given careful consideration to the Offer Document and, as Leader of the Council, it has my full support and the support of the Council as a whole. I would urge you all to read it carefully and send back any comment on the offer using the pre-paid reply form. I would also ask that every one of you takes part in the confidential ballot later in the year when only the votes cast will decide the future ownership of your homes";
4. the work undertaken by the Tenants' Theme Groups, the tenants and the Special Interest Group be acknowledged and they be thanked for having given so generously of their time to support the Council in developing the Offer Document;
5. the Offer Document (subject to its acceptance by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister and the Housing Corporation) be approved and (a) be recommended for acceptance by the Council and (b) the Chief Executive, after consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Housing, be authorised to sign off the final document; and
6. the next stages in the process leading up to the Council's consideration of the feedback from Stage 1 Consultation on 25th October 2005 be noted, at which point the Council will need to take a decision on whether to ballot the tenants on the management and future ownership of their homes by Weyfold Community Homes.
The meeting concluded at 9.05 p.m.