Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Executive held on 07/02/2005
Minutes of the Meeting held on 7th February 2005
MINUTES of the MEETING of
the EXECUTIVE held on
7th February 2005
(To be read in conjunction with the Agenda for the Meeting)
Miss G B W Ferguson (Vice-Chairman)
Mr K T Reed
Mr M J D Allan
Mr J E Robini
Mr S D Edge
Mrs C E Savage
Mr B Grainger-Jones
Mr V K Scrivens
Mr C H Mansell
[Miss G B W Ferguson in the Chair]
Mr M W Band, Mr B A Ellis, Mr P Haveron, Mr P B Isherwood
and Mr R C Terry were also present
Mr R J Gates was also in attendance and spoke on Agenda Items 8, 15, 18, 19 and 20 (Minute Nos 272, 279, 283, 284 and 285 refer)
and Mr P D Harmer attended to speak on Agenda Items 5, 7A, 8, 9, 16, 18, 21, 22 and 25 (Minute Nos 269, 271, 272, 273, 280, 283,
286, 287 and 290 refer). Mr V Duckett also attended to speak on Agenda Item 8 (Minute No 272 refers)
RESIGNATION OF LEADER
The Deputy Leader of the Council announced the resignation of Mr C C E Slyfield as Leader of the Council and as a member of the Executive. The reason given for the decision was disillusionment with the political process and the influence of the Standards Board for England over members' ability to undertake their duties.
(Agenda Item 1)
The Minutes of the Meetings of the Executive held on 10th and 11th January 2005 were confirmed and signed.
(Agenda Item 2)
Apologies for absence were received from Mr M J D Allan and Mr B Grainger-Jones.
DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS
(Agenda Item 3)
Mr C H Mansell declared a personal and prejudicial interest in Agenda Item 9 as a Trustee of the Rural Life Centre. He also declared personal interests in Agenda Item 9 as the Waverley representative on the Farnham CAB, Agenda Item 26 as his wife is the Waverley representative on the Brightwell Gostrey Centre and in Item 27 as the Trustee of Abbeyfield Wey Valley Society.
Mrs C E Savage declared a personal interest in Agenda Item 9 as her husband is the Waverley representative on the Cranleigh CAB and the Cranleigh Arts Centre Council of Management.
Mr V K Scrivens declared a personal interest in Agenda Item 17 as a member of Farnham Town Council.
(Agenda Item 4)
In accordance with Procedure Rule 10, Mr N A Wheble and Mrs L S Dadak from Bramley, asked questions relating to the current planning policies to deal with mobile phone base station applications and the introduction of 3G Technology. The Portfolio Holder for Planning and Major Developments gave detailed responses to the questions, explaining the difficulty for local authorities of striking a balance between the market demand for services and the environmental and health concerns over the required installations but confirmed that it was the intention of the administration to review its policy on telecommunication masts and to hold workshops with affected Town and Parish Councils.
EXECUTIVE 2004/2005 – PORTFOLIO CHANGES
(Agenda Item 5)
The Executive agreed to note the portfolio changes submitted by the Leader of the Council for the remainder of the Council year.
EXECUTIVE FOUR MONTH ROLLING PROGRAMME
(Agenda Item 6)
RESOLVED that the rolling programme be adopted.
NOTICE OF MOTION AND SOUTH EAST PLAN AND LOCAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK UPDATE
(Agenda Items 7A and 7B)
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND to the C
"the Executive sees no benefit so far in Farnham, as part of Waverley, being included in the Western Corridor; and, unless during the process of consultation real benefits are revealed, the Council at this stage adopts a policy that Farnham be not included"; and that an Informal Council meeting be held on 28th February and a formal Council meeting to agree representations to SEERA be held on 12th April 2005.
FINANCIAL STRATEGY 2005/06-2007/08
BUDGET STRATEGY 2005/06
(Agenda Item 8)
General Fund Capital Programme 2005/2006
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that
1. the 2005/2006 General Fund Capital Programme as shown at Annexe 1 of the report be approved;
2. the Weyhill Car Park project be financed by prudential borrowing;
3. the financing proposals in accordance with Annexe 2 of the report be agreed; and
4. the Financial Strategy be amended to reflect the above decisions.
General Fund Revenue Estimates 2005/2006
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that
1. a 4.9% increase for Waverley's element of Council Tax for 2005/06 be agreed;
2. the schedule of fees and charges at Annexe 5 to the report be approved;
3. discretionary rate relief be offered as outlined in paragraph 35 of the report;
4. the recommendations in the Addendum relating to additional staffing to be funded from the Planning Delivery Grant, be approved;
5. the reductions should be recommended for implementation, as set out in the Annexe to these minutes;
6. the General Fund Budget for 2005/06 be approved; and
7. the Financial Strategy should be updated to take account of the decisions taken.
Housing Revenue Account Capital Programme 2005/06
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that
1. the 2005/06 HRA draft Capital Programme be approved;
2. the 2005/06 Social Housing Grant draft Capital Programme be approved; and
3. £0.5m be brought forward from the indicative 2006/07 Capital Programme to be directed at the disabled adaptations and structural works programmes.
Housing Revenue Account Revenue Estimates and Rent Levels 2005/06
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that
1. the rent levels of HRA dwellings be increased from 4th April 2005 by an average of 5.5%;
2. the weekly charge for a separate garage rented by a Council tenant be increased by 5.5% from 4th April 2005; and
3. the weekly charge for a separate garage rented by a non-Council tenant be increased by 5.5% from 4th April 2005.
SPONSORED ORGANISATION SCHEME – APPLICATIONS FOR REVENUE FUNDING 2005/06
(Agenda Item 9)
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that the applications from Sponsored Organisations and the allocations for 2005/06 totalling £554,943, as listed in Annexe 1 to the report, Grant Recommended (2) column of the report, be approved, as updated at the meeting as follows:-
(a) Hurtwood Control – increase to £500
(b) Rural Life Centre – increase to £4,000
(c) Haslemere Hall – increase to £4,000
(d) Haslemere Educational Museum – increase to £3,000
(e) Milford and Villages Day Centre – an additional one-off payment of £5,000 to be made in 2004/05 following the retirement of the Day Centre kitchen post.
PRUDENTIAL CODE FOR CAPITAL FINANCE IN LOCAL AUTHORITIES
(Agenda Item 10)
RESOLVED that the Prudential Indicators 1 to 6 set out in the report be approved, following the decisions taken in approving a draft General Fund budget.
TREASURY MANAGEMENT POLICY
(Agenda Item 11)
1. the review of the current policy be noted;
2. the annual investment Strategy be approved, as set out in paragraph 6 of the agenda report; and
3. the prudential indicators in paragraph 8 of the report be approved.
BUDGET MONITORING – DECEMBER 2004
(Agenda Item 12)
In addition to the report at Appendix G, the Executive certified as an urgent business item, a report on the Godalming Leisure Centre and John Stanley Jeffries Trust, which was tabled at the meeting.
RESOLVED to note the budget monitoring report and to RECOMMEND that a supplementary revenue estimate of £30,000 be agreed in this financial year for the John Stanley Jeffries Trust.
REVISED PROCUREMENT STRATEGY
(Agenda Item 13)
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that the revised Procurement Strategy be adopted.
MEMBERS' IT FACILITIES
(Agenda Item 14)
RESOLVED that officers investigate in detail the proposed change to the policy relating to Members' IT facilities, as described in paragraph 3 of the report, based on a scheme to reimburse Members' costs, to be agreed by the Director of Finance after consultation with the Portfolio Holder and details to be circulated to all members.
ANNUAL AUDIT LETTER 2003/04
(Agenda Item 15)
RESOLVED that the report be received and noted.
REVIEW OF THE COUNCIL'S HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICY AND PROCEDURES
(Agenda Item 16)
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that the updated Safety Policy Statement and Health and Safety Policy and Procedure guidelines, as set out in Annexe 1 to the agenda report, be adopted.
FARNHAM TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE
(Agenda Item 17)
1. the resolutions of Farnham Town Council and the consequential financial arrangements for Waverley, as set out in the report, be noted; and
2. officers, in consultation with relevant Portfolio Holders, be authorised to negotiate with Farnham Town Council on the detail of the response to the resolutions and to report back to the Executive at the earliest opportunity for final approval.
CONTINUATION OF MEETING
At 9.45 p.m., in accordance with Procedure Rule 9, the Executive agreed that the meeting should continue until consideration of all business on the agenda had been concluded.
WORK OF THE CONSTITUTION SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP – PROPOSALS FOR IMPROVING WAVERLEY'S OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY PROCESSES
(Agenda Item 18)
1. the proposal outlined in the report be endorsed and that the three Overview and Scrutiny Committees be consulted for their views which would be reported back to the SIG and in turn to the Executive in March or April; and
2. the SIG's remaining work programme be noted.
DECRIMINALISED PARKING ENFORCEMENT
(Agenda Item 19)
1. officers be authorised to negotiate the terms and conditions of an Agency Agreement, between Surrey County Council and Waverley Borough Council, for Waverley to operate an effective decriminalised on-street parking enforcement operation in the Borough, at no overall cost to Waverley; and
2. officers report back to the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee and the Executive with details of those terms and conditions and a detailed cost model.
LEGIONELLA MANAGEMENT IN SPORTS AND LEISURE BUILDINGS
(Agenda Item 20)
1. the Council agrees to undertake the management of legionella in its sports pavilions and leisure buildings for which it is responsible, including the Memorial Hall and to report back on buildings where another organisation may be responsible for funding this; and
2. the annual sum indicated in the (Exempt) Annexe to the report be included in the Revenue Estimates commencing in 2005/06, for this purpose.
CONTRACT MONITORING ARRANGEMENTS
(Agenda Item 21)
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that
1. 2 full-time establishment posts be appointed, as set out in Annexe 1 to the report, to undertake the contract monitoring for the Grounds Maintenance and, separately, the Waste Management Services Contracts commencing in November 2005; and
2. budgetary provision be made in 2005/06 for the part-year costs associated with making these appointments, and for full-year costs thereafter, to be met from the overall provision for the relevant contracts.
THE LOCAL DEVELOPMENT SCHEME AND THE CORE STRATEGY ISSUE AND OPTIONS
(Agenda Item 22)
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that
1. the Local Development Scheme be agreed for submission to the Government Office for the South East; and
2. the Core Strategy Issues and Option Paper be agreed as a document to be published for public comment, subject to detailed wording changes on infrastructure improvements, affordable housing and the clarification of the reference to the centre of Hindhead.
REVIEW OF PUBLIC SPEAKING SCHEME AT DEVELOPMENT CONTROL AND AREA DEVELOPMENT CONTROL SUB-COMMITTEES
(Agenda Item 23)
RESOLVED that the Public Speaking Scheme be approved, as amended in accordance with the proposed changes as set out in Annexes 2 and 3 of the agenda report and as reflected in the revised explanatory guidance in Annexe 5, subject to a special case for Alfold and Dunsfold Parishes being able to speak on eligible applications relating to Dunsfold Airfield, because the site is so significant and straddles the Parish boundary.
CONSULTATION ON PROPOSED EXTENSION TO THE CONSERVATION AREA BOUNDARY FOR FARNHAM TOWN CENTRE
(Agenda Item 24)
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND that extensions to the Conservation Area Boundary for Farnham Town Centre, as shown in the submitted plan, be approved.
A COMPACT WITH THE VOLUNTARY SECTOR
(Agenda Item 25)
1. Waverley becomes a partner in the Surrey Compact;
2. Waverley develops its own action place to deliver the Compact locally; and
3. should Surrey County Council approach Waverley for funds in the future, officers refer the matter back to members.
BRIGHTWELLS GOSTREY CENTRE – REDEVELOPMENT OF THE EAST STREET AREA
(Agenda Item 26)
1. the Brightwells Gostrey Centre be provided with a new-build development on or near its existing site, having regard to the reasonable needs of the Brightwells Gostrey Committee; and
2. officers be requested to undertake a feasibility study, based on the level of facilities provided at Haslewey and Milford and Villages Day Centres, draw up plans and make a financial appraisal for the provision of a new day centre, including continuing financial viability.
DEVELOPING EXTRA CARE SHELTERED HOUSING IN FARNHAM
(Agenda Item 27)
RESOLVED that the proposal to introduce an Extra Care facility into two Sheltered Housing Schemes in Farnham be welcomed and implemented.
2005 PAY CLAIM
(Agenda Item 28)
The Executive deferred consideration of this matter as negotiations relating to the 2005 Pay Claim were continuing.
DRAFT CALENDAR OF MEETINGS 2005/2006
(Agenda Item 29)
RESOLVED that the draft Calendar of Meetings for 2005/2006 be approved.
APPOINTMENTS TO OUTSIDE BODIES
(Agenda Item 30)
SCC Local Committee – Proposed Joint Working Group with Hampshire County Council
(Agenda Item 30.1)
SCC Local Committee – Community Travel Plan Task Group
(Agenda Item 30.2)
John Stanley Jeffries Swimming Pool Trust
(Agenda Item 30.3)
RESOLVED that the Chief Executive be authorised to nominate Members to serve on these groups or outside bodies, after consultation with the Group Leaders.
Appointment of Member to Corporation of Guildford College
(Agenda Item 30.4)
RESOLVED to approve the continuation of Mr J R Sandy as the appointed member to the Corporation of Guildford College for a second term.
(Agenda Item 31)
RESOLVED that Mr K T Reed be appointed to the Member/Tenants' SIG following the changes to Executive portfolio allocations.
The meeting concluded at 10.33 p.m.