The annexe to this report contains exempt information by virtue of which the public is likely to be excluded during the item to which the report relates, as specified in paragraph 3 of the revised Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972, viz:
Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority holding that information).
Summary and purpose:
The purpose of this report is to consider an application received by the Council for non-domestic rate relief, as provided for in the Local Government Finance Act 1988.
There are no environmental implications relating to this report.
Social / community implications:
There are no social/community implications relating to this report.
There are no E-Government implications relating to this report.
Resource and legal implications:
The resource implications are dependent upon the outcome of the Executive’s consideration of the application. If rate relief were to be granted, 75% of the relief will be offset against the contributions made to the NNDR Pool and the General Fund will meet the remaining 25%. There is no specific budget provision to meet this application for relief.
Introduction and Background
1. The Council’s Scheme of Delegation includes provision that the determination of discretionary rate relief in respect of new applications is delegated to the Director of Finance in accordance with the policy adopted by the Council. However, where an application is received which is requesting hardship relief, or an appeal is lodged against a delegated decision made by the Director of Finance, the application and appeal is submitted to the Executive for consideration.
2. Set out at Annexe 1 for the information of Members is a note of the powers contained in Section 49 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 to reduce or remit the non-domestic rates on the grounds of hardship, together with guidance issued by the former Office of the Deputy Prime Minister. A ratepayer has submitted an application to the Council to reduce or remit their non-domestic rates on the grounds of hardship.
3. Details relating to the application, and the financial implications for the Council, are contained in (Exempt) Annexe 2 attached.
It is recommended not to grant rate relief, as set out in the recommendation in (Exempt) Annexe 2 to this report.
Background Papers (DoF)
There are no background papers (as defined by Section 100D(5) of the Local Government Act 1972) relating to this report.
Name: Mr S Clutterbuck Telephone: 01483 523098
G:\bureau\comms\executive\2007-08\093 NNDR hardship relief.doc