Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Executive held on 15/06/2004
MINUTES of the MEETING of the EXECUTIVE held on
15th June 2004
(To be read in conjunction with the agenda for the meeting)
Mr C C E Slyfield (Chairman)
Mr C H Mansell
Miss G B W Ferguson (Vice-Chairman)
Mr J E Robini
Mr M J D Allan
Mrs C E Savage
Mr S D Edge
Mr V K Scrivens
Mr B Grainger-Jones
The following members were also in attendance:
Mr M A Clark, Mr R J Gates, Mr P D Harmer, Mr P Haveron and Mr P B Isherwood.
Mr Gates attended to speak on agenda items 6, 7, 13, 14 and 18.
Mr Harmer attended to speak on agenda items 7, 12, 16 and 18.
Mr Haveron attended to speak on agenda item 8.
[The Chairman congratulated, on behalf of the Executive, Councillor Anne Mansell, who had been awarded the MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours.]
(Agenda Item 1)
The Minutes of the Meeting held on 25th May 2004 were confirmed and signed.
DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS
(Agenda Item 3)
Mr J E Robini disclosed a personal interest in respect of agenda item 12 – (Emergency Services Out of Normal Office Hours) relating to his role as Crime Reduction Advisor for the Waverley Area, – and remained in the Chamber during discussion on this item.
EXECUTIVE FOUR MONTH ROLLING PROGRAMME
(Agenda Item 5)
The Portfolio holder for East Street, Mr Mansell, updated the Executive on the latest position on the East Street consultation process.
RESOLVED that the four-month rolling programme of key decisions for Waverley be approved.
(Agenda Item 6)
The officers tabled updated pages to substitute for those circulated with the agenda.
RESOLVED that the content of the Corporate Plan as contained in Annexe 1 to Appendix B be approved for publication on the Waverley website, subject to the Chief Executive, in consultation with the Leader and Deputy Leader, being authorised to make final drafting changes.
FINANCIAL STRATEGY REVIEW
(Agenda Item 7)
RESOLVED that further consideration of this matter be deferred and that the Director of Finance be requested, after consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Finance, to submit a revised version to the next meeting on 12th July.
SKATEPARK PROVISION – CENTRAL GODALMING
(Agenda Item 8)
1. a skateboard facility be erected in The Burys Recreation Ground;
2. the exact location of the facility be as shown in Annexe 2 of the agenda report; and
3. the revenue budget for maintenance of outdoor play equipment be increased by a sum of up to £3,500 in future financial years, to be met by an increase to the base budget or from savings to be identified.
GRASS CUTTING SPECIFICATION
(Agenda Item 9)
RESOLVED that an option be included which would enhance the grass cutting specification in relation to the sites identified in Annexe 1 of the agenda report.
AUTHORITY TO TAKE RECOVERY ACTION
(Agenda Item 10)
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND to the COUNCIL that
1. in compliance with Section 223 of the Local Government Act 1972, Miss Katherine Lee and Mrs Julie Chester, being the appropriate staff in the Finance Department, be authorised to prosecute and to appear on the Council’s behalf in proceedings before a Magistrates’ Court in accordance with Schedules 2, 3 and 4 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 in connection with Council tax matters;
2. in compliance with Section 223 of the Local Government Act 1972, Miss Katherine Lee and Mrs Julie Chester, being the appropriate staff in the Finance Department, be authorised to prosecute and to appear on the Council’s behalf in proceedings before a Magistrates’ Court in accordance with Schedule 9 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 in connection with Non-Domestic Rate matters;
3. Miss Katherine Lee and Mrs Julie Chester be authorised to take steps, including the institution and conduct of legal proceedings, in the County Court, up to the automatic arbitration limit, as may be required to recover monies owing to the Council; and
4. in matters over the arbitration limit and following consultation with the Solicitor to the Council, the above named persons be authorised to appear on behalf of the Council.
TREASURY MANAGEMENT - BORROWING AND INVESTMENT TRANSACTIONS AND PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT
(Agenda Item 11)
1. the report be noted; and
2. the Director of Finance be requested to investigate a more informative local performance indicator on borrowing performance.
THE CAPABILITY OF THE
TO PROVIDE EMERGENCY SERVICES OUT OF NORMAL OFFICE HOURS
(Agenda Item 12)
1. officers be asked to present further reports to future meetings of both the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee and the Executive to address areas of Members’ concerns; and
2. officers report to a future meeting on an appropriate set of measures to ensure that the Council can meet its statutory obligations to provide advice on dangerous structures out of normal office hours which will have cost implications.
waverley BOROUGH CYCLING PLAN
genda Item 13)
RESOLVED that the Draft Waverley Borough Cycling Plan be approved as a basis for public consultation, subject to the Director of Planning and Development being authorised to incorporate the comments of the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee, in consultation with the Portfolio Holders for Planning and Leisure.
CALL-IN ITEM – PLANNING SERVICES: CURRENT PRESSURES AND ISSUES
(Agenda Item 14)
RESOLVED that the officers be asked to report to the next meeting on 12th July with detailed proposals for revised wording for the definition in the Scheme of Delegation of "small scale development" to enable the Executive to make a recommendation to the Council meeting on 20th July.
HOUSING OPTIONS APPRAISAL SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP (SIG)
(Agenda Item 15)
RESOLVED that the report of the Special Interest Group be received and noted.
SURREY LOCAL GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION (SLGA) – NOMINATIONS TO OTHER BODIES
(Agenda Item 16)
RESOLVED that nominations be made as follows for consideration for appointment by the Surrey Local Government Association:
Three Year Term
Surrey Historic Buildings Trust
Mr V K Scrivens
Mr B Grainger-Jones
Surrey CC Health and Scrutiny Select Committee
Miss G B W Ferguson
Supporting People Commissioning Body
Mrs A E Mansell
Advocacy Mediation Independent Investigation Service
Community Safety Strategy Group
Mr J E Robini
Countryside Access Forum
Management Committee of Victim Support Surrey
High Sheriff’s Award
Surrey SCC Pension Fund – Investment Advisors Group (2)
Surrey Economic Partnership
Miss G B W Ferguson
Territorial Army Volunteer Reserve
* to be offered to the Conservative Group.
APPOINTMENT OF REPRESENTATIVES TO OUTSIDE BODIES/SURREY COUNTY COUNCIL LOCAL COMMITTEE TASK GROUPS
(Agenda Items 17.1 and 17.2)
1. the Chief Executive, in consultation with the Leader and Deputy Leader, be authorised to approach a former councillor to establish if that person would wish to serve on the Governing Body of Godalming College;
2. in the case of the few remaining vacancies on outside bodies, the Chief Executive, after the appropriate member consultation, be authorised to approve the filling of those vacancies to outside bodies; and
3. the following appointments be made to the Surrey County Council Local Committee Task Groups in 2004/05:
Tilford STAR: Mr L C Bate and Mrs P Hibbert
Godalming Traffic: Mr M W Byham and Mr P Haveron
(Agenda Item 18)
The Executive was advised that this item had been withdrawn as the report was not ready and would be submitted to a future meeting.
ACTION TAKEN SINCE LAST MEETING
(Agenda Item 19)
There was no action to report under this heading.
The meeting concluded at 8.45 p.m.