Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Licensing and Regulatory Committee held on 01/12/2005
MINUTES of the MEETING of the LICENSING AND REGULATORY COMMITTEE
held on 1st December 2005
(To be read in conjunction with the Agenda for the Meeting)
Mr L C Bate (Chairman)
Mrs J R Keen
Mr J M Savage (Vice-Chairman)
Dr M-G Lane
Mr M J Blower
Mrs A E Mansell
Mr M W Byham
Mr W M Marshall
Mrs E Cable
Mr A Rayner
Mr V Duckett
Mr J R Sandy
Mr R D Frost
Mr P B Isherwood
APPOINTMENT OF CHAIRMAN
Mr J R Sandy was appointed Chairman for this meeting of the Licensing and Regulatory Committee as the Chairman and Vice-Chairman were unable to be present.
(Agenda Item 1)
The Minutes of the Meeting held on 10th October 2005 were confirmed and signed.
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
(Agenda Item 2)
Apologies for absence were received from Mr L C Bate, Mrs E Cable, Mr V Duckett, Mr R D Frost, Mrs J R Keen, Dr M-G Lane Mr W M Marshall, Mr A Rayner and Mr J M Savage.
DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS
(Agenda Item 3)
There were no interests raised under this heading.
The Head of Committee and Member Services advised that Mrs E Cable, Mr V Duckett and Mrs J R Keen had sat on the Committee for the hearing of the Hot Food Van on the Odiham Road, Farnham and would therefore not be taking part in this meeting.
LICENSING ACT 2004 – FUTURE ENFORCEMENT, STAFFING STRUCTURES AND OTHER MATTERS
The Committee considered the proposals for the next stage of implementing the 2003 Licensing Act and the transfer of responsibility for liquor licensing to Waverley, which has created considerable resource implications.
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND to Council that officers be authorised in accordance with the Licensing Act 2003 as set out in Annexe 1 to the report.
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND to the Executive that
1. the Temporary Licensing Administrator 0.7 part time post be continued;
2. the hours of the Licensing Enforcement Officer be temporarily enhanced by 0.3 full-time equivalent;
3. the staffing structure set out in (Exempt) Annexe 2 and resulting re-designations and re-evaluations of grading be adopted; and
4. the Council be recommended to make permanent the current two year Temporary Licensing Administrator post.
1. the proposals for continuing the licensing service to administer 2003 Act licences and for pro-active joint enforcement with Surrey Police be noted;
2. the proposals for a reactive enforcement service which would not involve an immediate late night or early morning response by Waverley staff to any complaints be endorsed; and
5. officers be asked to monitor carefully the continuing workload and report regularly to the Committee on this.
REVIEW OF STREET TRADING
The Committee considered the report from the Licensing (General Purposes) Sub-Committee that had reviewed the designation of the A287 Odiham Road, Farnham.
1. the stretch of the A287 from the junction with Folly Hill to the County boundary be designated as a Prohibited street
for street trading purposes; and
2. the proposal to make this designation be advertised in the local press in accordance with the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 to enable representations to be considered at a later meeting.
GAMBLING ACT 2005
The report summarised the latest position and timescale for implementing the Council’s new responsibilities for licensing gambling which will have resource implications.
The Committee noted the draft timetable for implementation and agreed that it would not be possible to make an informed response on the Gambling Commission consultation until more detailed information is received from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
1. the draft timetable for implementation be noted;
2. representations on the Gambling Commission consultation be delayed until more detailed information is received;
3. an informal indication to LACORS about the possibility of encouraging a casino in the Borough be deferred for further discussion; and
4. representations be made to the Executive about the resource implications of transferring this new responsibility.
VACANCY – LICENSING AND REGULATORY COMMITTEE
RESOLVED to RECOMMEND to Council that Mrs S R Jacobs be appointed to the Licensing and Regulatory Committee for the remainder of the Council year.
REPORT OF THE MEETINGS OF THE LICENSING (GENERAL PURPOSES) SUB-COMMITTEE
RESOLVED that the report be noted.
REPORT OF THE MEETINGS OF THE LICENSING ACT 2003 SUB-COMMITTEES
RESOLVED that the report be noted.
The meeting concluded at 1.39 p.m.