Waverley Borough Council Home Page Waverley Borough Council Home Page


Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document

Meeting of the Executive held on 06/09/2005
Minutes



25
MINUTES of the MEETING of the EXECUTIVE held on 6th September 2005


(To be read in conjunction with the agenda for the meeting)

*Miss G B W Ferguson (Chairman)*Mr C H Mansell
*Mrs C E Savage (Vice-Chairman)Mr K T Reed
*Mr S D Edge *Mr J E Robini
*Mr B Grainger-Jones*Mr V K Scrivens
*Mr P Haveron
* Present
Also in attendance: Mr R J Gates

76. MINUTES (Agenda Item 1)

The Minutes of the Meeting held on 12th July 2005 were confirmed and signed.

77. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE (Agenda Item 2)

An apology for absence was received from Mr K T Reed.

78. DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS (Agenda Item 3)

Mr C H Mansell declared a personal interest in Agenda Item 8 relating to the Community Partnerships Fund as a trustee of the Farnham Institute Charity.

Also with regard to Agenda Item 8, Mr V K Scrivens explained that a complaint had been made to the Standards Board alleging that he had a personal interest in the New Farnham Repertory Company (NFRC)). A judgement had been made on this, and accordingly he felt it proper to inform the Executive that he had no interest in the NFRC.

79. EXECUTIVE FOUR MONTH ROLLING PROGRAMME (Agenda Item 5)

RESOLVED that the four-month rolling programme of key decisions for the Borough be approved.

80. NOTICE OF MOTION (Agenda Item 6)

RESOLVED that the Notice of Motion submitted by Mr P D Harmer be deferred until the October meeting of the Executive when a comprehensive report from the Constitution SIG, which was meeting on 9th September 2005, would also be considered.

81. A LOCAL AREA AGREEMENT FOR SURREY (Agenda Item 7)

RESOLVED that the content of the report be noted and the initial stages in developing a Local Area Agreement for Surrey be supported, to include supporting the following five key areas:-

1. Transport, to be led by the Chief Executive
2. Economic Development
3. Housing
4. Improving Health and Life Chances for Children
5. Waste Management, but not the proposed virtual waste authority.

82. COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS FUND 2005/06 – NEW FARNHAM REPERTORY COMPANY SEASON 2005 APPLICATION (Agenda Item 8)

RESOLVED that

1. an exception be made to normal grant conditions as this is such an unusual application, in particular its involvement with young people, and to award a grant from the Community Partnerships Fund Small Grant Scheme as a contribution towards the fifth season of theatre production, for the specific activities outlined in paragraph 9 of the report;

2. a grant of 3,500 be made to the New Farnham Repertory Company in respect of this application for Season 2005; and

3. in future, the New Farnham Repertory Company's application for annual funding support for theatre production in Farnham be made through the Sponsored Organisation Scheme.

83. PROPOSED EXTENSION TO THE HASLEMERE CONSERVATION AREA (Agenda Item 9)

The Director of Planning and Development tabled revised comments from the Surrey Historic Buildings Officer and clarified that the representation received from Mr and Mrs Ellis was an objection.

RESOLVED that, subject to the observations of the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee, the extension to the Haslemere Conservation Area boundary, as shown on the plan at Annexe 2 to the report, be agreed and submitted to the Council for designation.

84. CONCESSIONARY FARES – INTRODUCTION OF FREE TRAVEL (Agenda Item 10)

RESOLVED that

1. the report be noted and further information awaited on the allocation of funding; and

2. officers be asked to use all available channels proactively to make representations about the effect on Waverley council tax payers and to authorise the Chief Executive to incur any reasonable expenditure to support this lobbying.

85. LEASE OF THE MOAT, ELSTEAD TO ENGLISH NATURE (Agenda Item 11)

RESOLVED that a lease of the Moat, Elstead, be granted to English Nature for an initial period of five years on the terms set out in the (Exempt) Annexe to the report.

86. BUDGET MONITORING (Agenda Item 12)

RESOLVED that the budget monitoring report be received, being the financial position to 31st July 2005.

87. CASH COLLECTION (Agenda Item 13)

RESOLVED that the report be noted on this matter.

88. STAFFING BUDGET – SCHEME OF DELEGATION (Agenda Item 14)

RESOLVED to RECOMMEND to COUNCIL that

1. the Scheme of Delegation be amended to enable the Chief Executive, after consultation with the Leader of the Council and the Portfolio Holder for Finance and Human Resources, to make decisions in relation to terminating the services of employees in line with the existing Council policy on early retirements and/or redundancy, where it is in the best interests of the Council to do so; and

2. such delegations should continue for a period of either:-

a. up to 31st March 2007 when it would be further reviewed; or

b. an earlier date if the procedures for dealing with staffing issues in relation to the potential Housing Stock Transfer require this delegation to be reviewed at that time.

89. ACTION TAKEN SINCE LAST MEETING (Agenda Item 15)

RESOLVED that the action taken by the Chief Executive since the last meeting be noted.

The meeting concluded at 8.21 pm.



Chairman




comms/executive/2005-2006/103
44771