Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee held on 16/03/2004
MINUTES of the MEETING of the ENVIRONMENT AND LEISURE OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE held
on 16th March 2004
(To be read in conjunction with the Agenda for the Meeting)
Mr R J Gates (Chairman)
Mrs L S R Hodgson
Mrs M V M Hunt (Vice-Chairman)
Mr D C Inman
Mr L C Bate
Mrs S R Jacobs
Mr M J Blower
Mrs P N Mitchell
Dr J F A Blowers
Mr J R Sandy
Mr M W Byham
Mr J M Savage
Mr V Duckett
Mrs J A Slyfield
Mr P Haveron
Mr J A Verden
Mrs P Hibbert
Mr P Betlem attended as a substitute for Mr Bate
The Minutes of the Meeting held on 20th January 2004 were confirmed and signed.
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were received from Mr L C Bate, Dr J F A Blowers and Mrs P Hibbert. Mr P Betlem attended as a substitute.
DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS
The Chairman disclosed a personal interest in Agenda Item 8 as a member of Bramley Parish Council.
EXECUTIVE FOUR MONTH ROLLING PROGRAMME
(Agenda Item 5, Appendix A)
1) the Executive be informed that the Committee was concerned about the speed with which the Executive was approaching the decision on the East Street landowner sanction; and
2) the Executive Four Month Rolling Programme of key decisions be received.
COMMITTEE WORK PROGRAMME
(Agenda Item 6)
As agreed at the previous meeting of this Committee, Members voted on their preferred topics to form the basis of the Committee Work Programme for 2004/05. Each member received a list of all the suggested items, and was given 2 votes to signify their preference. It was agreed that if 2 items were to get an equal number of votes, the Chairman’s casting vote would be exercised.
RESOLVED that the items to be included on the work programme for 2004/05 to receive in-depth reviews be
1) Promoting Youth Activity; and
2) Development Control.
A31 HICKLEY’S CORNER UNDERPASS
(Agenda Item 7, Appendix B)
Surrey County Council recently published proposals for the construction of an underpass at Hickley’s Corner on the A31 in Farnham. The Committee strongly supported the scheme in principle, but made the following observations:
RESOLVED that the Executive be asked to consider the following:
1. that Surrey County Council be asked to ensure that proper consultation with nearby business users takes place with regard to the right turn out of Weydon Lane;
2. that Surrey County Council be asked to consider the removal of ‘A’ road status from West Street so that heavy traffic from Coxbridge would be encouraged to use the improved A31;
3. that the needs of pedestrians and cyclists be given sufficient consideration and a suitable crossing be included in the scheme, particularly in the light of the proposed residential development at East Street; and
4. that further research be carried out into whether the long distance through traffic on the A31 would increase.
COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP FUND 2004
(Agenda Item 8, Appendix C)
The Committee received a report summarising the applications submitted to the Community Partnership Fund (formerly Matched Funding) for the year 2004/05 for the service within its remit. The report detailed the applications and the grant criteria against which they were assessed. The Committee was invited to pass any observations to the Executive. The Director of Environment and Leisure in response to a question explained details of the Frensham Pond scheme and the amount of money being obtained from other sources.
RESOLVED that the following observations be forwarded to the Executive:
1) that the scheme for a new bus shelter at The Square, Godalming should be moved from a medium priority to a high priority and that the new shelter should be capable of electronically displaying bus information; and
2) that the Committee supported all other high priority applications within its remit.
The meeting concluded at 8.09 pm