Waverley Borough Council Home Page Waverley Borough Council Home Page


Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document

Meeting of the Executive held on 04/09/2007
Agenda




Fax No: 01483 523475
Your ref:
Our ref:
When calling please ask for: Emma McQuillan
Direct line: 01483 523351
E-mail: emcquillan@waverley.gov.uk
Date: 23rd August 2007

To: All Members of the EXECUTIVE
(Agenda pages to other
Members for Information)
Membership of the Executive
      Cllr R J Gates (Chairman)
Cllr D J Munro
      Cllr Mrs P M Frost (Vice-Chairman)
Cllr S N Reynolds
Cllr M H W BandCllr J R Sandy
Cllr B A EllisCllr R J Steel
      Cllr D C Inman
Cllr A E B Taylor-Smith


Dear Sir/Madam

A Meeting of the EXECUTIVE will be held as follows:-

Yours faithfully

MARY ORTON

Chief Executive
*This meeting will be webcast and can be viewed by visiting http://www.waverley.ukcouncil.net/

*The informal question time session is now being dealt with as the first item before the formal agenda

NOTE FOR MEMBERS

Contact Officers are shown at the end of each report and members are welcome to raise questions, make observations etc. in advance of the meeting with the appropriate officer.
AGENDA

1. INFORMAL PUBLIC QUESTION TIME

The Chairman to receive any informal questions from members of the public (for a maximum of 15 minutes).

2. MINUTES

To confirm the Minutes of the Meeting held on 10th July 2007 (to be laid on the table half-an-hour before the meeting).

3. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To advise the Executive of any apologies for absence.

4. DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS

To receive from members, declarations of personal and prejudicial interests in relation to any items included on the agenda for this meeting, in accordance with the Waverley Code of Local Government Conduct.

5. QUESTIONS

The Chairman to respond to the following question received in accordance with Procedure Rule 10 from Mr Hyman of Farnham:-

“Council Leader. For some years, Crest Nicholson have maintained that they could not possibly offer a viable development containing less than 294 homes, yet in what might be considered 'the final minutes of extra time', we are now told that their claimed 'bare minimum' is in fact 227.

6. EXECUTIVE FOUR-MONTH ROLLING PROGRAMME

To adopt the four-month rolling programme of key decisions for Waverley Borough Council, attached at Appendix A - for all Members of the Council. [Those items which can now be removed from the Rolling Programme are identified in struck through text, and any items that have been added are identified in bold text.]

Recommendation

It is recommended that the four-month rolling programme be adopted subject to

1. the addition of the following items:-

a. Communications Review under the Communications Portfolio;

b. Special Purpose Vehicle under the Housing Portfolio;

c. Gypsies and Travellers and Pre-application Protocol under the Planning and Major Projects Portfolio;

d. Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act (options for adoption of powers) under the Neighbourhood Environmental Services Portfolio;

e. Supporting Theatre Makers in Waverley, Leisure Centre Capital Improvement Proposals and Leisure Contract Update under the Leisure and Culture Portfolio;

f. Update on Development of Waverley Youth Council and Children’s Trust Arrangements under the Youth Portfolio; and

g. Waverley Business Forum, Impact of Foot and Mouth Disease on Local Businesses and Car Park Review under the Portfolio for the Local Economy and Car Parks; and

2. to the deletion of the Key Site, Godalming item from the Property Portfolio.

7. FOOT AND MOUTH DISEASE UPDATE

To receive an oral update from the Chief Executive and Leader of the Council on the Foot and Mouth Disease.


8. EAST STREET - REPORT FROM THE SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP
[Wards Affected: All Farnham Wards]

To receive a report from the meetings of the East Street Special Interest Group held on 31st July and 16th August 2007 - attached as Appendix B, to be supplemented at the meeting by an oral update from the Leader and Chief Executive.

9. BUDGET MONITORING - JULY 2007
[Wards Affected: All]

The report at Appendix C provides details of the expenditure and income position to July 2007 compared with the budget for the General Fund and the Housing Revenue Account. It also gives an update on the Capital Programme for the General Fund and Housing Revenue Account.

Recommendation

10. SPONSORED ORGANISATION SCHEME 2008/09 - GRANT ELIGIBILITY, CRITERIA AND TIMETABLE
[Wards Affected: All]

The purpose of the report at Appendix D is to ask the Executive to endorse the principle of supporting the Sponsored Organisation Scheme and the Waverley Voluntary Grants Partnership (WVGP) in 2008/09.

Recommendation

The Executive is recommended to:

11. NEW COMMITTEE ROOM SCHEME
[Wards Affected: All]

The purpose of the report at Appendix E is to seek approval from the Executive to a scheme to provide a new Committee Room that meets the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act 2005 and permission to submit a planning application for the building of this new facility.

Recommendation

It is recommended that

1. the scheme to provide a new accessible Committee Room be approved; 2. a first resolution in accordance with Regulation 3 of the Town and Country Planning (General) Regulations 1992 be approved to allow a planning application to be submitted for the new Committee Room; and 3. subject to planning approval, the cost of the scheme following the tender exercise, be reported back to the Executive for approval.

12. SCHEME OF OFFICER DELEGATION - ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH FUNCTIONS
[Wards Affected: All]

The report at Appendix F sets out proposed revisions to the scheme of delegation to officers for carrying out the Council’s powers and duties in relation to environmental health functions.

Recommendation

It is recommended that the Scheme of Officer Delegation be amended as set out in Annexe 1 to the report and referred to the Council for adoption.

13. REVIEW OF POLLING DISTRICTS AND POLLING PLACES
[Wards Affected: All]

Publish a notice of the holding of a review;
Consult the Returning Officer for every parliamentary constituency which is wholly or partly in its area;
Enable any such Returning Officer to make representations to the authority and publish them in a prescribed manner;
Seek representations from such persons that it thinks has particular expertise in relation to access to premises or facilities for persons who have different forms of disability; and
Allow any elector in the authority’s area to make representations which could include proposals for alternative polling places

The report at Appendix G proposes that authority be delegated to the Chief Executive, to conduct the review and submit proposals for polling districts and polling places to the Council at its meeting on 16th October 2007, via the Executive.


Recommendation

It is recommended that authority be delegated to the Chief Executive to conduct the review of polling districts and polling places and any proposals be reported to the Council at its meeting on 16th October 2007, via the Executive.

14. PAYMENT OF COUNSELS’ FEES - DUNSFOLD PARK LIMITED
[Wards Affected: All]

The report at Appendix H seeks agreement from the Executive to fund payment of 78,125 from the General Fund balances in respect of legal costs, incurred by the Council following a successful appeal by Dunsfold Park Limited against the serving of a Noise Abatement Notice by Waverley Borough Council.

Recommendation

The Director of Finance be authorised, on behalf of Waverley Borough Council, to settle Counsels’ fees incurred by Waverley in the case described in the report and to meet these costs from the general fund balances and the Council be recommended to approve the necessary supplementary estimate in the sum of 78,000.

15. CALL-IN REPORT BACK - MUSEUM OF FARNHAM GARDEN CLASSROOM
[Wards Affected: All Farnham Wards]
Following the meeting of the Executive on 10th July 2007, which considered a report on the Museum of Farnham Garden Classroom, four members of the Environment and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Committee called-in the item for scrutiny. A meeting of the Committee subsequently took place on 30th July 2007.

Those members who had called-in the decision explained their concerns about the perceived inequality in the budget for museum provision across the Borough, including ongoing costs and potential future payments. Officers explained the need for the refurbishment of the garden classroom given the bad state of repair of the building and members agreed that the grant of 25,000 was good value for money in view of the amount of external funding that would subsequently be generated for the Museum. Members also felt that a useful discussion had taken place with regard to the current position and generally agreed that a review of how Waverley supports the Museum services across the Borough, to include the Cranleigh Arts Centre, could be helpful.

The Chief Executive also reassured the Committee that having supported the Heritage Lottery Fund Bid, should it be unsuccessful, there would be no presumption to proceed to an alternative option of refurbishing the building.

At the conclusion of the debate, the Committee agreed to endorse the Executive’s original decision that a grant of 25,000 from the 2007/8 Community Partnership Fund be earmarked as a contribution to the Museum of Farnham Garden Classroom, which could then be implemented immediately.

Recommendation

The Executive is asked to note this update report.

Background Papers (CEx)

There are no background papers (as defined by Section 100D(5) of the Local Government Act 1972) relating to this item.
16. ESTABLISHMENT OF A RESTRUCTURING SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP
[Wards Affected: N/A]
To assist with the Senior Management Restructuring, the Deputy Leader of the Council has requested a Special Interest Group. It is proposed that the SIG would have a membership of 8, with six Conservative members and two members from the opposition groups. The Executive is invited to agree the composition of the SIG at the meeting. Suggested draft Terms of Reference for the SIG are set out below:-

To receive the Chief Executive’s (HOPS) latest proposals on a new senior management structure for Waverley Borough Council
To act as a ‘sounding board’ on those proposals
To identify the essential differences in those proposals against the senior management restructuring decisions taken by the Council at its meeting on 12th December 2006
To understand and explore the reasons for the differences and to provide comment to the Portfolio Holders and Chief Executive as necessary.

It is expected that the first meeting of the SIG will take place in early October.

Recommendation

It is recommended that

1. approval be given to the establishment of a Restructuring Special Interest Group; and

2. the Terms of Reference and composition of the SIG be agreed.

17. SURREY LOCAL GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION - APPOINTMENTS TO AD HOC BODIES
[Wards Affected: N/A]
Following the nominations submitted by Waverley Borough Council for Surrey Local Government Association outside bodies, Cllr Mrs P Ellis has been appointed to the Supporting People Commissioning Body for a two year term of office.

Recommendation

It is recommended that this appointment be noted.

Background Papers (CEx)

Correspondence from the Surrey Local Government Association dated 12.07.07.

18. APPOINTMENT OF TRUSTEES TO KNIGHTS WRECCLESHAM ALMSHOUSES
[Ward Affected: Farnham Wrecclesham and Rowledge]
As a result of the review of Representatives on Outside Bodies undertaken in 2005, a decision was taken not to re-appoint to the Knights Wrecclesham Almshouses Trust. The organisation was subsequently informed of this decision and ongoing communications from the Chairman have indicated that the decision causes the Trust some difficulty in that its constitution requires it to maintain representatives appointed by Waverley Borough Council.


Officers have given consideration to the potential risk implications of continuing to appoint to the Trust and considers there to be very minimal risk to Waverley or its nominees in view of the fact that the Trust is understood to be obtaining Trustee Indemnity Insurance. Previous appointments to the Trust have been external nominees and not elected members of the Council.

Recommendation

It is recommended that

1. approval be given to the continued appointment of two external representatives to the Knights Wrecclesham Almshouses Trust, and the appointments to be Mrs S Farrow and Mrs V Phillips for 2007-2009; and

2. the Trust be included in the list of outside bodies to which Waverley continues to appoint in the future.

Background Papers (CEx)

Correspondence with the Chairman of the Knights Wrecclesham Almshouses Trust.

19. ACTION TAKEN SINCE LAST MEETING

To note the following decisions taken by the Chief Executive after consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman since the last meeting. The Register of Decisions will be laid on the table half an hour before the meeting:-

Revisions to Member Appointments

Member/Tenants’ SIG (to replace Cllr Mrs E Cable)Cllr S J O’Grady
Member/Tenants’ SIG (to replace Cllr Mrs P Ellis)Cllr S P Connolly
Healthcare SIG (to replace Cllr Mrs P Ellis)Cllr Mrs E Cable
Outside Bodies
Waverley Community Transport ForumCllr D J Munro (to replace Cllr S J O’Grady)

20. EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC

That, pursuant to Procedure Rule 20, and in accordance with Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following item on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the public were present during this item there would be disclosure to them of exempt information (as defined by Section 100I of the Act) of the description specified in the appropriate paragraph(s) of the revised Part I of Schedule 12A to the Act (to be identified at the meeting).

21. ANY OTHER ISSUES TO BE CONSIDERED IN EXEMPT SESSION

To consider matters (if any) relating to aspects of any reports on this agenda which, it is felt, may need to be considered in Exempt session.


For further information or assistance, please telephone Robin Pellow, Head
of Committee and Member Services, on extension 3222 or 01483 523222.
Comms/executive/2007-08/064