Waverley Borough Council Committee System - Committee Document
Meeting of the Licensing (General Purposes) Sub-Committee held on 16/11/2004
MINUTES of the MEETING of the LICENSING (GENERAL PURPOSES) SUB-COMMITTEE
held on 16th November 2004
(To be read in conjunction with the Agenda for the Meeting)
Mr J M Savage (Chairman)
Mr M A Edgington
Mrs J R Keen (Vice-Chairman)
Dr M-G Lane
Mr L C Bate
Mrs M Nyazai
Mr M J Blower
Mr J R Sandy
Mr P Haveron was present as a substitute
(Agenda Item 1)
The Minutes of the Meeting held on 12th October 2004 were confirmed and signed.
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
(Agenda Item 2)
Apologies for absence were received from Mr L C Bate, Mrs M Nyazai
and Mr M A Edgington.
DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS
(Agenda Item 3)
Mrs J R Keen declared a personal interest in Agenda Item 7 relating to exemptions from private hire plate display, as she was acquainted with one of the applicants.
Mr M J Blower declared a personal interest in Agenda Item 6 relating to the applications for annual public entertainment licences because of his involvement with St Joan’s Hall, Waverley Lane, Farnham.
Mr P Haveron declared a personal and prejudicial interest in Agenda Item 6 relating to public entertainment licence applications from The Lounge Bar and Grill, and Sports 2000 Bar, and left the chamber during discussion and voting on this item.
HACKNEY CARRIAGE FARE SCALE – CONSIDERATION OF RESULT OF ADVERTISEMENT OF PROPOSED NEW FARE SCALE
(Agenda Item 5)
Due to the fact that no objections had been received in respect of the advertisement of the proposed new hackney carriage scale, the Committee had no representations to consider in relation to this item and the fees were therefore confirmed.
RESOLVED that the revised hackney carriage fare scale be introduced with effect from 8th December 2004.
UNOPPOSED APPLICATIONS FOR ANNUAL PUBLIC ENTERTAINMENT LICENCES
1. subject to satisfactory completion of any items of repair which may be required to ensure that the premises meet the standards laid down in the Council’s Regulations and General Conditions, including the maximum number of persons to be admitted, and to the individual conditions referred to in the report in respect of Farnham Maltings and the House of Blues, Godalming, annual licences be granted in respect of those premises where no objections have been received to applications for the renewal and grant of new licences, as set out in the report; and
2. additional conditions as proposed by the Police Licensing Officer on
the public entertainment licence be approved in respect of the House
of Blues, Wharf Street, Godalming.
OPPOSED APPLICATIONS FOR ANNUAL PUBLIC ENTERTAINMENT LICENCES
The Committee conducted formal hearings of the applications for the renewal and variation of public entertainment licences for The Glasshouse (previously Harlequins Bar), the Lounge Bar and Grill and Sports 2000 Bar, all in Godalming.
After hearing the representations of the applicants and representatives, where appropriate, and the objector present at the meeting, the press and public were excluded from the meeting following consideration of each application, to allow the Sub-Committee to deliberate and accordingly it was
RESOLVED that pursuant to Procedure Rule 20 and in accordance with Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of this item on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the public were present, there would be disclosure to them of exempt information (as defined by Section 1001 of the Act) of the description specified in Paragraph 7 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972, namely:-
Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (other than the authority)
It was further RESOLVED that
1. with regard to the Glasshouse, Angel Court, High Street, Godalming, the Music and Dancing (MSD) licence be renewed with extensions for every Thursday, Friday and Saturday until 2.00 a.m. with no entry or re-entry on Friday or Saturday nights after 12 midnight, subject also to the new conditions set out in the report and agreed by the applicant, and to conditions relating to undertakings made and set out in the submission made by the applicant to the meeting. The Sunday Music and Dancing (SM) licence, as existing, was also approved;
2. with regard to the Lounge Bar and Grill, 1 High Street, Godalming, the MSD licence be renewed with extensions every Friday and Saturday until 1.00 a.m. as existing, and on a Thursday until 11.00 p.m., as existing, subject to the new condition set out in the report and agreed by the applicants; and
3. with regard to the Sports Bar, 28 High Street, Godalming the licence be renewed and a variation of hours to the MSD licence be granted for every Friday and Saturday until 1.00 a.m. along with the grant of a new SM licence, subject to the conditions set out in the report and agreed by the applicant.
APPLICATIONS FOR EXEMPTION FROM PRIVATE HIRE PLATE DISPLAY
1. exemption from the requirement to display a private hire licence plate
on any occasion be granted to:
(i) Mr A Collins of A C Taxis in respect of his Jaguar Sovereign
V8, registration number ACZ 5565, Plate No. 204, and
(ii) Mr R Jasper of Dunsfold in respect of his Chrysler Grand
Voyager, registration number K66 JSP, Plate No. 209; and,
2. that authorisation for the transfer of plate exemptions to replacement
vehicles be granted to:
(i) Mr P W Edwards of Farncombe in respect of his Toyota
Camry, Registration Number W679 UGC, Plate No. 229;
(ii) L Foster of Grayshott in respect of his Audi A6, Registration
Number V443 KGX, Plate No. 292;
(iii) Mr P Keen of Executive Car Services in Haslemere in respect
of his BMW 728, Registration Number YSJ 406, Plate No. 227 and his Vauxhall Omega, Registration Number V331 FJB, Plate No. 273; and
(iv) Mr S Goddard from Shalford with regard to his Volvo, Registration Number M856 SGX, Plate No. 249
3. in future, officers be authorised to determine requests for existing plate exemptions to be transferred to replacement vehicles under the same private hire vehicle licences; and
4. all private hire vehicles, including those which are exempted by the Council from plate display, be required to display the small internal notice of licence in a prominent position in the vehicle.
LICENCE TO OPERATE A PET SHOP
RESOLVED that a licence to keep a pet shop for the sale of puppies only, be
granted to Ms Wenman of Finchingfield, Rowly Drive, Cranleigh,
subject to planning permission being obtained for the sale of puppies
at the premises.
ACTION TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING
(Agenda Item 9)
RESOLVED that the action taken by the Chief Executive after consultation with the
Chairman and Vice-Chairman since its last meeting, be noted.
The meeting concluded at 10.20 p.m.